• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oranges

Darienne

I seem to collect a lot of naked oranges, oranges without the outside of the peel (zest) or the entire peel (candied). I know I could juice them... :hmmm:

I have poked around in the recipes...did find an Orange Orange Muffin... and the former threads; what I am looking for is lovely recipes that use the orange flesh...not just the juice. So many 'orange' recipes call for only the juice.

I do make Orange Juleps, my own version, throwing one orange per person into the blender, but what other favorites are out there that use the entire orange?

Is there an orange mousse which uses the orange flesh? Or a curd? Or ? A desserty thing.

Thanks. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Great for brunches: remove all pith fom whole orange. Slice orange into round discs, keeping the whole orange intact ( or reassembling) and store in single layer. Make one for each guest. Just before serving, or a day ahead, slightly thaw and puree frozen sweetened strawberries. When ready to serve pour puree over "whole" oranges. Fresh strawberries don't have the concentrated flavor of the frozen ones. Very refreshing.

Prepare oranges in discs as above and alternate discs with mild onion slices. Dress with vinaigrette for salad and serve on a platter. May also add beet slices.

Fruit "salad" or dessert: make a boiled dressing of pineapple juice, lemon, sugar, flour and eggs. Chill. Fold in whipped cream, orange supremes, dates, bananas, grapes, pineapple cubes. May add marshmallows and/or nuts, but I like just fruit.

Add supremes to green salads with toasted walnuts and grapes and serve with orange vinaigrette.

Add juice to marinades and barbeque sauces.

Mostly, if I zest one, I just sit down and eat it. :wub:

(And for those of you who don't recognize the term "supreme", it means an orange wedge with no membranes attached.)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Thanks Merstar and Ruthcooks for the ideas. Downloaded the Lawson cake and might try it.

I like the fruit salad idea. Not sure about oranges and onions.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A couple ideas from the Zuni Cafe cookbook by Judy Rodgers:

Oranges with Rosemary Honey. The recipe is available here, at the bottom of the page.

http://www.riverdogfarm.com/newsletters/02.05.08nl.pdf

Mandarins & Dates Stuffed With Mascarpone. An eye-catching platter of orange slices, dates stuffed with mascarpone, pomegranate seeds, and pistachios. I've used good ol' naval orange slices here. My notes say to stuff the dates with ricotta as an alternative--but I can't remember if I've ever done it. I've skipped the pomegranate seeds, and substituted pinenuts for the pistachios. Almonds would be good here, too. The recipe is available here:

http://www.riverdogfarm.com/newsletters/12.05.07nl.pdf

On this EGullet thread I posted a recipe for Orange Souffle made with orange segments, Post #18: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=112700

I would say cook them down with a little simple syrup, add some cointreau, puree & strain, and then add it to taste to your favorite neutral pound cake. I imagine it would be pretty good with a layer of ganache spread in between.

I make batches of Alton Brown's Orange Sherbet

It is delicious.

I also make a casserole - side dish sort of thing with sliced sweet potatoes interleaved with cross-cut orange slices (rounds), drizzled with maple syrup and baked in a 300 degree oven for 40 minutes.

I've also got the Citrus Cookbook

and I even have one on my Kindle that is an Orange Cookbook - I don't think it is available in paper.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Don't be afraid of oranges and onions. But use *SWEET* onions, like Vidalias or Walla Wallas. Even red onions, if they're mild are fine. Add some shaved fennel bulbs, a nice vinagrette, and then top with the minced fennel fronds....divine.

A lot of Mexican salads add oranges or other citrus. It works really, really well.

Along the lines of the clementine cake, I made a clementine clafoutis last year that was wonderful. The clafoutis batter was pretty standard, and you just used the segments of the clementines as the base. I'm sure you could do the same with the orange segments.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Once again, my thanks to all. :smile:

I just might have to make that Orange Souffle today...it's the old girl's birthday today.

And I'll look up the Citrus Cookbook on the Canadian Amazon. It was such a treat ordering books on the American Amazon. You have no idea of how much more it costs in Canada, both the cost of the book and the S&H.

And I'll try the onions...but not today. :raz:

Thanks again.

I also have a recipe for a filling/frosting for a Chocolate-Orange Dessert in an old chocolate book Chocolate Sensations, bought in an earlier life. Full of cream cheese and whipping cream and liqueur and all. It might just make a sinful dessert on its own, without the little cake part. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I separate oranges from their peels, as per my photo demo posted some time back, I end up with whole oranges too.

I pull the segments apart, spread them in one layer on a sheet pan or tray and put them in the freezer for an hour or so until they are solidly frozen. Then I put them into a vacuum bag or a ziplock bag works okay too, just for shorter periods.

This way they don't clump together and you can remove just a few of the segments for use in a drink or dish without defrosting the others.

Because of the effects of freezing/thawing, the segments seem to produce much more juice than the fresh oranges.

Earlier today I combined a dozen segments with a cup of homemade yogurt and a couple of tablespoons of honey and a dash of angostura bitters in my Vita-Mix and made myself a frosty orange drink.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I separate oranges from their peels, as per my photo demo posted some time back, I end up with whole oranges too.

I pull the segments apart, spread them in one layer on a sheet pan or tray and put them in the freezer for an hour or so until they are solidly frozen.  Then I put them into a vacuum bag or a ziplock bag works okay too, just for shorter periods. 

This way they don't clump together and you can remove just a few of the segments  for use in a drink or dish without defrosting the others.

Because of the effects of freezing/thawing, the segments seem to produce much more juice than the fresh oranges.

Earlier today I combined a dozen segments with a cup of homemade yogurt and a couple of tablespoons of honey and a dash of angostura bitters in my Vita-Mix and made myself a frosty orange drink.

Thanks, Andie.

I just looked up your photo demo on search and got...the above message only. Can you please give me the information to find it? :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I pull the segments apart, spread them in one layer on a sheet pan or tray and put them in the freezer for an hour or so until they are solidly frozen.  Then I put them into a vacuum bag or a ziplock bag works okay too, just for shorter periods. 

This way they don't clump together and you can remove just a few of the segments  for use in a drink or dish without defrosting the others.

Thanks, Andie.

I just looked up your photo demo on search and got...the above message only. Can you please give me the information to find it? :rolleyes:

It's post # 163 on this page.

something I used to make a lot: make a caramel syrup flavored with crushed cardamom ( I think cardamom and orange go really well together) and orange liqueur.

Slice your oranges (pith removed) and put them in a shallow dish, pour the warm syrup over and leave to cool. Good as it is, better with something creamy like creme fraiche or mascarpone, divine with ice cream.

something I used to make a lot: make a caramel syrup flavored with crushed cardamom ( I think cardamom and orange go really well together) and orange liqueur.

Slice your oranges (pith removed) and put them in a shallow dish, pour the warm syrup over and leave to cool. Good as it is, better with something creamy like creme fraiche or mascarpone, divine with ice cream.

Time to buy some fresh cardamom pods. I hate to tell you how old mine are and, like many ideas which do not come to pass, they were never used. :sad:

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Time to buy some fresh cardamom pods. I hate to tell you how old mine are and, like many ideas which do not come to pass, they were never used. :sad:

Thanks.

I find they keep really well.. crack them open and crush the seeds, and if they´re fragrant and citrusy smelling, you´re good to go!