• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Dirt Farms, Kansas City

moosnsqrl

If you've never tried any of the cheeses from Green Dirt, you're missing out on some good stuff. And if you've never been to a working farm like this, you're missing out on a great time. I regret that time won't allow us to go up there during The Heartland gathering but if you're ever in the area, I highly recommend

They have frequent community outreach/education offerings in addition to regular appearances at area farmers markets.

For a good time, great cheese and friendly people, check them out. You'll be glad you did!

Green Dirt Farm

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

And their lamb is unfreakingbelievably good. They have stalls at both City Market and Brookside; for the folks going to City Market during the Heartland gathering I encourage you to seek them out.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

• 3 weeks later...

There's a great article in the Star's Preview section today about the series of farm dinners they're putting on this summer. Check out the picture of the guests sitting at the long table in the barn - you have the farmers/cheese-makers standing at the end with a glimpse of the outdoors through the open barn door behind them, and two guys in the foreground reaching out to shake hands across the table. Good stuff, we need more of this.

At the end of the day, a farm is a business, and in too many cases it is a back-breaking, high risk, low return one. I love seeing small farms like GDF finding creative ways to market themselves while raising awareness and building community.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

There's a great article in the Star's Preview section today about the series of farm dinners they're putting on this summer.  Check out the picture of the guests sitting at the long table in the barn - you have the farmers/cheese-makers standing at the end with a glimpse of the outdoors through the open barn door behind them, and two guys in the foreground reaching out to shake hands across the table.  Good stuff, we need more of this.

At the end of the day, a farm is a business, and in too many cases it is a back-breaking, high risk, low return one.  I love seeing small farms like GDF finding creative ways to market themselves while raising awareness and building community.

It was a great article - and here's a link to it.

Good job Tony et al. Looking forward to some more of that farm table goodness later this month @ Crum's (see Hearland Gathering thread for more info) - I hope you and the new bride will be joining us.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher