• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three Days in Portland

Hello,

I'll be spending three days in Portland next month and would love some recommendations for dinner, great sandwiches, breakfast and happy hour spots.

Many thanks!

Dinner: Carlyle, Beast, Le Pigeon, Noble Rot, Clyde Common, Pok Pok

Breakfast: ByWays Cafe

For breakfast, check out the Bijou Cafe, love the oyster hash here! For nice dinners: Fenouil, Park Kitchen, Bluehour (wonderful gnocchi) Paley's Place, Wildwood, The Heathman, Portland City Grill (gorgeous views of the city) and Andina for Peruvian food. Ten 01 is also very good, in the Pearl District.

Enjoy your time in Portland and let us know where you end up! :)

Toro Bravo is a must.

Sel Gris for fine dining.

Teardrop, and Clyde Common, for Happy Hour.

Bunk Sandwiches for sandwiches at lunch.

Bar Mingo is great for food and drinks.

Laurelhurst Market for dinner.

Broder for breakfast.

Apizza Scholls for pizza.

Beaker & Flask for great food and drinks.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in Portland and enjoyed meals at Pazzo (lamb papradelle was amaizng!) brunch at the London Grill @ the Benson where we stayed and last night was Le Pigeon which wowed us, great Beef Bourginoun and Pork Belly appetizers. Bread pudding with goat cheese gelato for dessert.

We also had a lovely lunch at Fenouil the Crab Croissant sandwich was excellent, served with roasted potatoes, we dined parkside on the outdoor patio at Fenouil, this was our second time there. :)

Edited by syrah girl (log)

• 6 months later...

So I'm going back again for 3 days in May and wondering if there are any new places that are not to be missed. I'll definitely try out some of the places I missed last time around.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Come to my house! I feel like I know you from all the posts :laugh: It wouldn't be anything mindblowing, but I'm a great baker!

If you like Korean noodles, Duh Kuh Bee in Beaverton is super good, little tiny hole in the wall place, open until 1:30 in the morning, which is a rarity for PDX...

Paley's Place, Wildwood, Mingo (the one in Beaverton is better than the one on 21st) the food carts on Hawthorne, Nedd Ludd is supposed be great, although I haven't personally been there, Cocotte is supposed to be great for breakfast and brunch, the guy who owns Le Pigeon just opened a place called Little Bird that's getting pretty good buzz...

If you're here over a weekend, try to hit the Portland Farmers Market, the strawberries should be here soon. Hood strawberries are pretty much the best in the world!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

The max is great, you can get pretty much anywhere downtown or somewhat out to the burbs...for example if you take the blue line max towards hillsboro Mingo is right on the max line, I think it's the Beaverton central stop...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm starting to get really excited about my upcoming 4-day trip to Portland... are there any recent updates on restaurants that I should be aware of? Honestly, I'm more worried about having too many options, rather than too few, but it's always good to know the latest!

Edit: Does it help if I note that this trip is still about 3 weeks away?

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara