• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants where it's most worth being a regular

Fat Guy

Someone should write a whole book containing strategies for becoming a regular, getting hard-to-get reservations, etc.

Oddly enough, Leventhal's suggestions were remarkably similar to those I had read somewhere else. Where, oh where, did I read them???

I don't recall any such book suggesting that one should buy a round for the kitchen or overtip the maitre d', or that one should simply buy a restaurant's friendship. (I'm sure such a strategy could work; I'm also sure it's unnecessary.)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I don't know how to say this, but the places where I'm a regular don't have a maitre d'.

And Fat Guy, you don't mean to say a blogger is writing about something that's already been written?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

Kara Newman picked up on this subject and did a blog entry about how to become a regular at a bar:

http://karanewman.wordpress.com/2009/08/27...come-a-regular/

Among other things: go early (or late), order a memorable drink . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Kara Newman picked up on this subject and did a blog entry about how to become a regular at a bar:

http://karanewman.wordpress.com/2009/08/27...come-a-regular/

Among other things: go early (or late), order a memorable drink . . .

Fat Gut, I don't think there is any secret to becoming a regular at restaurants. Go often, be polite,, be respectful... Tipping in cash doesn't hurt either.

Fat Gut, I don't think there is any secret to becoming a regular at restaurants. Go often, be polite,, be respectful... Tipping in cash doesn't hurt either.

To a lot of people, those are secrets. And in terms of the specifics of implementation, for some people it's intuitive whereas others can use some coaching. I hope I provided that for the 17 people who bought my book.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

To a lot of people, those are secrets. And in terms of the specifics of implementation, for some people it's intuitive whereas others can use some coaching. I hope I provided that for the 17 people who bought my book.

The secret is not so much what it takes to be a regular—anyone could figure out that if you go often, you're a regular—but how you can obtain that status more quickly, and the benefits you may receive by doing so.