• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Was it herbal? tart? spiced? There are a lot of long-braised curries in SE Asian repertoire, so it'd be good to know a few other characteristics.

I'm not sure how authentic the curry was, I ate it in a restaurant in Argentina, which is not known for the authenticity of its Asian food. But it was quite tasty and I was wondering if anyone had any recipes. It wasn't very herbal or tart, the sauce was quite dark, spiced and very spicy. I'd be quite interested in long-braised curry recipes of any kind.

Could it have been beef rendang recipe made with oxtails? I have made it with beef short ribs with success. Oxtails would be a fine alternate in this recipe. The dish is indeed dark, spiced, and spicy.

The rendang doesn't have a liquidy sauce when it is done cooking. I usually take some of the liquid off during the braise to make a separate sauce to serve along side.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Could it have been beef rendang recipe made with oxtails? I have made it with beef short ribs with success. Oxtails would be a fine alternate in this recipe. The dish is indeed dark, spiced, and spicy.

The rendang doesn't have a liquidy sauce when it is done cooking. I usually take some of the liquid off during the braise to make a separate sauce to serve along side.

It had the consistency of rendang and most of the flavors. Except it wasn't as coconuty. But I do agree that I think it would work very well for oxtails.

I actually had a dinner party this weekend and used the oxtails I had bought to make Massaman Curry. It was excellent. I think the oxtails add a gelatinous texture and flavor that is fantastic with long-cooked curries.