• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decent batch freezer for gelato production

mustpan

I've tried the search and come up short. I am in the market for a batch freezer and or ice cream maker that is able to produce some quality artisanal gelato. My online research has been lacking. From what I understand the products from Lello and Musso don't produce the proper consistency, and, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of products that specialize in gelato production. Does anyone have experience with making gelato at home? What are your recommendations for a quality machine in the $300-$800 u$d price rage? Also, are there any web communities of fellow gelato enthusiasts?

thanks,

mustpan

I'm pretty happy with my Musso Lussino (1qt, around $500-600) unit in terms of speed and ease, but I've never been to Italy and don't know what ideal texture you're looking for. It seems like the local galato shops vary from fairly dense to really meringue-y.

I've tried the search and come up short. I am in the market for a batch freezer and or ice cream maker that is able to produce some quality artisanal gelato. My online research has been lacking. From what I understand the products from Lello and Musso don't produce the proper consistency, and, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of products that specialize in gelato production. Does anyone have experience with making gelato at home? What are your recommendations for a quality machine in the $300-$800 u$d price rage?  Also, are there any web communities of fellow gelato enthusiasts?

thanks,

mustpan

There's a Musso/Lello in the 300 to 800 dollar range???

I've made very good ice cream in a Lello/Musso machine but I use more "commercial/ technical" ingredients.

I visited a wholesaler the other day who makes gelato.

He had a commercial size machine (20k) that had churner arms that bent up instead of the normal type of churner blade.

He said this was very important to gelato as normal churning arms he said "beat" the product down.

Also the over run should be almost non existent,ie., no air in the mix.

Skim milk is important

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

There's a Musso/Lello in the 300 to 800 dollar range???

http://www.amazon.com/Lello-Musso-Lussino-...45884072&sr=1-1

I really thought mine was only $500, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. The bigger one is $1100. There are not a lot of choices under $1000, and I doubt any of those will let you adjust your churn speed. I think when you get into the Taylors and Carpigianis, you might be able to adjust the speed, but those are much more industrial machines at industrial prices.

I visited a wholesaler the other day who makes gelato.

He had a commercial size machine (20k) that had churner arms that bent up instead of the normal type of churner blade.

He said this was very important to gelato as normal churning arms he said "beat" the product down.

Also the over run should be almost non existent,ie., no air in the mix.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Emery Thompson has Infinite Over Run Control standard on their little machine and optional on the rest. It goes from 1 RPM to 234 RPMs without loss of torque. Gelato should have 20-35% air compared to American ice cream which has 50% air, so 200-234 RPM for American vs 140-150 RPM for Gelato. Sorbets get- maximum air, as water only adds 17% volume, you need as much air in it as possible.

Carpigiani LB 502 has 2 speeds one high one low.

I think it is good to remember it is not the machines, but the artist behind the machines.