• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's new in Cape May?

scarlet knight

Will be there for a week, starting a week from today. First thing we do when we check in to our B & B is check with our friends there as to the current state of the restaurant scene, so I'll try to report back. Anticipate likely going to Louisa's, possibly to Lucky Bones (salad/pizza, maybe fish), Gecko's for Southwestern, Lobster House fish market (not the restaurant)- we have eating facilities, but not cooking facilities where we stay- usually get cooked shrimp and some scallops or other fresh fish and make ceviche, maybe go next door to the Peter Shield's Inn. Apparently the chef from the now-closed popular Sea Salt restaurant in Stone Harbor is now cooking at the Ebbitt Room and that might be a possibility. Had a decent dinner last year at Union Park-will check it out again and decide. Should be able to report before you go.

Mark A. Bauman

Louisa's first and foremost but good luck getting in. The only thing the Lobster house is good for is their retail fish market and outside raw bar. Avoid the restaurant like the plague.

Love Peter Shields and Gecko's. I wish we were going too, Cape may has it all, lovely beaches, great shopping and vibrant resto scene, and of course those amazing victorian B&B's and private residences. Have fun!!

As mentioned, we do not frequent the LH restaurant. We don't seem to have trouble securing a reservation at Louisa's, if you know how their system works (call Tuesday at 4 for a week at a time). The B & B we stay at is usually helpful in getting reservations there and elsewhere. A number of CM places (not Louisa's, however) are now on OpenTable.

Mark A. Bauman

As mentioned, we do not frequent the LH restaurant. We don't seem to have trouble securing a reservation at Louisa's, if you know how their system works (call Tuesday at 4 for a week at a time). The B & B we stay at is usually helpful in getting reservations there and elsewhere. A number of CM places (not Louisa's, however) are now on OpenTable.

Mark, I'm all too familiar with how Louisa's reservation "system" works. I spent many a Tuesday afternoon just before 4:00 attempting to get through! It is certainly better to have an innkeeper pave the way for sure. It is worth the hassle once there however.

As to LH, I know you don't frequent the resto part but I wanted to make sure the OP got the message that their food is to be avoided at all costs.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick recounting of our recent week in Cape May:

As mentioned, we did a little non-cooking "cooking" in our B & B. We can use their refrigerator to store some food/wine, etc. but not their stove, etc. Our room was on the second floor, with a private porch overlooking the beach and ocean and had an inside and outside table, so we prepped inside and ate outside. Got some excellent smoked fish from the Lobster House (mackerel, blue and salmon). Also some jumbo lump crabmeat, cooked shrimp and lobster for salads, cocktail, etc. Also got some fresh scallops for making ceviche (lime, onion, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, etc.). As far as restaurants- we, as always, had a great, inexpensive meal at Luisa's. Had wanted to go to Union Park, where we had an excellent meal last year, and other guests this year recommended, but we ran out of time. Had another excellent meal at The Black Duck- the chef formerly cooked at Union Park. Had some excellent seafood apps and a decent thin crust pizza at Lucky Bone's. Jumping place that has become a favorite with locals and tourists. Some other foodie friends reported a great meal at La Verandah in the Hotel Alcott. Always under the radar, we may try it next year. Chef at the Peter Shields has left and the former sous chef is now in charge. Didn't hear good things-despite the beautiful setting. Prices are high and some people reported a little disappointment. Gecko good as always for southwestern. Went one morning to the zoo (our second trip and an incredible surprise as to how good a zoo it is-not just for kids) and it was suggested by some locals from the B & B (who I thought might have known better) that we try Tokyo Sushi in Rio Grande for lunch as they said the people who work there were Japanese. Well, it turns out they are mostly Chinese. Regardless, it was quite decent. Speaking of sushi, we were told that the Harbor View, just a little ways on the road to Wildwood, had a real Japanese itamae, and that the sushi was very good there. I am a little skeptical sometimes of places that have wonderful views of the water, etc. Sometimes the food is inversely proportional to the view quality. Actually, again, we were pleasantly surprised. The chef was, indeed, Japanese, and the sushi was very good. Beautiful day to sit by the water as well. There was a lot of buzz about a new chef who moved down who is now in charge of the Ebbitt Room. Did not get a chance to check it out. Some folks at the B & B enjoyed the old standard, the Washington Inn, for a special occasion. Did not consider 410 Bank St. this year. Was for many years one of our top favorites. Used to dream about their crawfish bisque all winter long. Really enjoyed it, but the last couple of visits left us feeling that it was a lot of money for what we got; sauces a little too rich, and the service a little indifferent and the seating a little crowded. Still very popular, however. Some friends enjoyed the Blue Pig-we didn't go, however. Nice outdoor patio- bring bug repellant. Had a very nice late lunch at the Pier House- former location of the Water's Edge. Excellent wine list (one of the few non-BYOB's we went to). Owner/chef George (CIA-trained), whom we met is Greek and lots of nice culinary touches evident. That's about it for now; if I remember anything else, I'll report back. We've already made our reservations for next year.

Mark A. Bauman

Hubbie and I went this year in early June during the strawberry festival, which was great this year, more vendors, more food, yummy strawberries...

We went to George's which is a small greek diner and it was AMAZING, the food was so fresh and so simply prepared, we loved it and the price was outstanding for Cape May, we will be back many more times. And the people who own/work there are just great, you feel like you are visting family.

We went to the Blue Pig also and it was good, just good not great. Can't even remember what I had, so that says it all.

We went to Capananas beach bar when we arrived and we had the margarita shrimp, always a hit, grilled shrimp with salted tails, lime, tequila, drawn butter, what could be wrong.

Edited by Deldino (log)

One of the disappointments was going to the West Cape May Farmers Market, which is held on Tuesdays from 3-7 PM, last Tuesday in June until September. We've stopped at a couple of local farmstands over the years- blueberries, Jersey tomatoes, etc. and was hoping for a good market. Turns out it was much more of a flea market with just a couple of prepared food vendors and just two produce vendors without a whole lot more. We have so much more in the Albany-Troy-Schenectady-Saratoga area. On the other hand, the restaurants don't seem to have a problem getting good produce. And, of course, what I wouldn't give to have the availability of fresh fish that they have there.

Mark A. Bauman

We ate at the Ebbitt Room on our first night in Cape May last Thursday. The food was superb. I had Alaskan Salmon. I enjoy it because it is lean , dry and intensely flavored. My wife has equally awesome Mahi Mahi. The atmosphere is very pretty (it's been redecorated since we were last there). Our waitress tried very hard and we compared notes on our mutual Romanian heritage.

The second night we went to the Black Duck. We arrived a little early for our reservation. Another couple who seemed to be regulars arrived after we did, but they were seated first in a nice area.We were castigated to a noisy hallway/atrium that was somewhat dark. Remember in the movie Animal House when they took Flounder and the Tom Hulce character to the living room in the frat house to sit with the nerds and kids with turbans? It felt like that. We didn't complain. The food was good , but the seating and the fact that we were eaten alive by mosquitos while waiting outside took some of the enjoyment out of it.

We had our third meal at Union Park. More spacious and comfortable than the other two restaurants. The food was good. My wife kvelled over her foie gras with apple "cake." My Caesar salad was conventional, but good. My filet mignon was better than my wife's lamb rack. Profiteroles! They also accomodated my request for fresh fruit at dessert.

Finally, we enjoyed our lunches near the beach at Sean's and Coffee Tyme. Mad Batter for breakfast! Go to Cape May! Swim and walk off your meals!

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

We went to George's which is a small greek diner and it was AMAZING,  the food was so fresh and so simply prepared, we loved it and the price was outstanding for Cape May, we will be back many more times.  And the people who own/work there are just great, you feel like you are visting family.

If this is the place I think it is, George is Gus Andy's brother who owns La Mer and many other properties in Cape May. Is it on Beach across from Uncle Bills?

This is the greatest place for a cheap and well prepared breakfast. Forget about the other upscale yupie places for breakfast, this is the place locals go on and off season.

If it's the same place/people- George and his brother may have a couple of places. Their upscale restaurant, Pier House, is actually attached to and adjacent to La Mer. This was the site of the other restaurant, The Water's Edge.

Mark A. Bauman

If it's the same place/people- George and his brother may have a couple of places. Their upscale restaurant, Pier House, is actually attached to and adjacent to La Mer. This was the site of the other restaurant, The Water's Edge.

Sadly, one of our favorite Cape May places to dine was Water's Edge. It had it all, creative and inventive food served by a knowledgable and caring staff with a spectacular ocean view. Who could ask for more?

We miss Water's Edge , also. Although I once ate outside and the mosquitos ate more of me than I ate of my food. I think they posted on e-mosquito. Is the chef from Water's Edge now at Copper Fish--pure rumor, not sure if it is correct info.

We miss Water's Edge , also. Although I once ate outside and the mosquitos ate more of me than I ate of my food. I think they posted on e-mosquito. Is the chef from Water's Edge now at Copper Fish--pure rumor, not sure if it is correct info.

The chef there was Neil Elsohn and no he's not at Copper Fish. Clickity here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...aded&show=&st=&

We went to George's which is a small greek diner and it was AMAZING,  the food was so fresh and so simply prepared, we loved it and the price was outstanding for Cape May, we will be back many more times.  And the people who own/work there are just great, you feel like you are visting family.

If this is the place I think it is, George is Gus Andy's brother who owns La Mer and many other properties in Cape May. Is it on Beach across from Uncle Bills?

This is the greatest place for a cheap and well prepared breakfast. Forget about the other upscale yupie places for breakfast, this is the place locals go on and off season.

Yes George's is right across the street from Bills Pancake, we loved it.. for years we said we were going to try and we always ended up somewhere else, now we know better!