• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that are a total waste of money

Fat Guy

I assume that this is the correct thread for this? :shock: Good Lord. The commercial is hilarious - people just demolishing eggs all over their counters and stoves. This is something that NO ONE would buy for themselves, but that someone would buy for a cook thinking (or NOT thinking) "what a cool tool"!

Oooh, oooh, oooh. I have to have one! To add to my collection of really stupid kitchen gadgets.

It will take its place with the avocado scoop'n slicer, the melon scooper (all three sizes) and the onion-shaped onion keeper.

I will bet that I can crack and separate six eggs in the time it takes to position an egg in the "instrument" and trigger the action.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I assume that this is the correct thread for this? :shock: Good Lord. The commercial is hilarious - people just demolishing eggs all over their counters and stoves. This is something that NO ONE would buy for themselves, but that someone would buy for a cook thinking (or NOT thinking) "what a cool tool"!

Of course here's the sister product for those who like hardboiled eggs! Just as useless and it takes up a lot more room!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

. . .

It will take its place with the avocado scoop'n slicer, the melon scooper (all three sizes) and the onion-shaped onion keeper.

. . .

OUCH! I love my onion-shaped onion keeper.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

. . .

Sorry.. It may not be the same as the one I have (a gift) which falls open whenever it is picked up. It's supposed to snap to the base, but doesn't and it is not sealed because the onion aroma leaks out. I tried it once.

It is this one: http://www.amazon.com/MSC-International-Jo-Onion-Keeper/dp/B001VE4K8M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264986172&sr=8-14

One of my friends has a Tupperware onion keeper that works just fine for her.

I just use the heavyweight plastic wrap - I have the commercial roll of Reynolds plastic wrap, which I may use up in my lifetime or maybe not... :biggrin:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

. . .

. . .

Sorry.. It may not be the same as the one I have (a gift) which falls open whenever it is picked up. It's supposed to snap to the base, but doesn't and it is not sealed because the onion aroma leaks out. I tried it once.

It is this one: http://www.amazon.com/MSC-International-Jo-Onion-Keeper/dp/B001VE4K8M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264986172&sr=8-14

I just use the heavyweight plastic wrap - I have the commercial roll of Reynolds plastic wrap, which I may use up in my lifetime or maybe not... :biggrin:

I just chop the entire thing while I'm at it and freeze the excess. That way it's ready to go when I need some.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I suspect that if one had the $$$ and inclination to purchase one of these glass hoods, then one could also hire somene to clean it regularly!

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

. . .

. . .

Mine has Hutzler stamped on the bottom and I got it at a garage sale. It seals well and I like onion slices on my sandwiches so it's very handy and easy to spot in my 'fridge.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

. . .

I not only have the onion-shaped onion keeper, but the lemon-shaped lemon keeper, too :laugh: . I don't know that they work any better than a ziplock bag, but they are cute and immediately identifiable.

. . .

I not only have the onion-shaped onion keeper, but the lemon-shaped lemon keeper, too :laugh: . I don't know that they work any better than a ziplock bag, but they are cute and immediately identifiable.

I am SO jealous. :laugh:

My 2004 eG Blog

obviously I need one of those... about as much as I need the RSI from squeezing the handles :)

Karen Dar Woon

Here's what my onion keeper looks like. At least it didn't set Santa back too much!

Yep - just like mine - I only have the "yellow" one though.

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's what my onion keeper looks like. At least it didn't set Santa back too much!

Yep - just like mine - I only have the "yellow" one though.

Those have very good ratings and look like they will seal much better than the one I have. Very nice.

I was given some onion keepers made by Tupperware that hang nicely on the inside of the fridge door - at least they do in the house of the guys who gave them too me - my fridge is a little to full for that. But they seal well - so after the forgotten onion goes rotten in there you can't smell it until you open them up.

• Like 1

Me: Hi, my name is Scoop and I'm a recovering gadget addict.

Support Group: "Hi Scoop!"

Me: I had it bad for a couple years. I bought a hamburger patty press, thinking it would give me perfect burgers. A friend taught me how to form (and then chill) burgers so they came out perfect every time. I donated the burger press to goodwill.

Support Group: "We feel your pain."

Me: Then it was the Bloomin' Onion cutter. That was when I knew I had hit rock bottom. I don't know why I bought it. I went through a phase where I wanted to make the perfect onion ring. To this day, I have yet to make an onion ring that didn't suck. (Aside: I may start a thread asking for onion ring help.) I blame my wife. She was a total enabler. "Well, you love onion rings. Why not? It's only $9.99"

Support Group: "Did you quit after that?"

Me: I tried. I really tried. But I relapsed. My family bought me not one, but two Slap Chops! Well, they weren't actually Slap Chops, but Zyliss versions of the Slap Chop. Either way, they stunk worse than a VW Microbus full of dead skunks (driven by Kenny G across the Mojave desert). I used the first slap chop for a total of five slaps. Tears in my eyes, I said, "No, they can't make me go back." and I regifted it.

Support Group: "But you set someone down their own path of addiction!"

Me: I know. I'm really sorry. Then the next year, another freakin' Slap Chop arrived. I gave it to my mother in law. It sits, unopened, in her garage. Every time I visit, it mocks me. "Scoop, I am the Slap Chop. I can obviate the need for knife skills. Just pull me out of the package and stick an onion in me!"

Support Group: "Don't do it!"

Me: Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night with cold sweats, having just dreamt I was in Bed Bath & Beyond, buying an egg scrambler, olive pitter and single-shot coffee maker.

Support Group: "Be strong!"

Me: But I LIKE some of my gadgets. The raclette grill. The lever-action espresso machine that cost as much as my first car. The rice cooker. I cannot give up my rice cooker. [sobs uncontrollably.] I don't use them every day. But they get a lot of use. Well, not so much the raclette grill. But it's a lot of fun at parties, and a lot easier to clean up than fondue.

Support Group: "Fondue!!?!? Hiss! Boo! Do not use the F-word here."

Me: Is my garlic press OK?

Support Group: "NO!"

Me: If I can't have my garlic press, then I'm quitting your 12-step program. Besides, "Gadg-Anon" sounds like some sort of perverts' support group.

Support Group: "Stay with the program. Don't go back to the dark side. You'll be blowing your paychecks at Williams Sonoma again in a matter of weeks!"

Me: Did you hear about their new induction shabu-shabu pot? Looks killer! And the tagine. I love a good tagine!

Support Group: "Nooooooo!"

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Me: Hi, my name is Scoop and I'm a recovering gadget addict.

Hang in there, gadget addict. You are not alone and not all of us have regrets.

You could never get to the point that I reached some years ago. I have gadgets that some people have never seen because they were marketed for such a brief time.

I have many antique ones that look like instruments of torture (and were torture to use but heck, people had servants then to do the tough jobs - and there was no such thing as OSHA). :rolleyes:

But then something weird happens. After a few years (or decades) other people read something in a story about a particular gadget, or see one in a movie, and decide they "can't live without it" and spend major bucks purchasing things that originally cost pennies.

These sometimes useless things are like money in the bank for us packrats that never (or almost never) throw things away.

And sometimes you might get a call from someone in the movie business who is looking for a particular gadget that can't be found in any of the prop warehouses and WOW! they are willing to pay to rent it and will send a car (or a truck) for it.

So, junior "collector of kitchenalia," take heart that not only are there a great many unrepentant gadgeteers roaming the countryside, they will never say to you that you have a problem.

And now I am off to yet again count my collection of whisks. I think they are multiplying on their own. :biggrin:

After a few years (or decades) other people read something in a story about a particular gadget, or see one in a movie, and decide they "can't live without it" and spend major bucks purchasing things that originally cost pennies.

Case in point: The Veg-o-Matic. If you do a search for one on eBay today it can cost up to about forty bucks. Or you can buy the new Williams-Sonoma version for about the same price. Everything old is new again... :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

After a few years (or decades) other people read something in a story about a particular gadget, or see one in a movie, and decide they "can't live without it" and spend major bucks purchasing things that originally cost pennies.

Case in point: The Veg-o-Matic. If you do a search for one on eBay today it can cost up to about forty bucks. Or you can buy the new Williams-Sonoma version for about the same price. Everything old is new again... :laugh:

An excellent example. However, I was thinking of the old-fashioned eggbeater - recently one (with its own container, a McCoy glass measurer) sold on ebay for $179.00.

I have a catalog from 1934 which shows the identical item selling for .59cents!

Amazing. I do happen to have a couple, one inherited, one picked up at a yard sale for a dollar. I also have several other eggbeaters, of various vintages, none made since 1950 and some with quite different designs but all engineered beautifully.

You can tell the ones that came with a container, they include a disc spatter shield, incorporated into the design.

Omigawd. I think I have fallen in love with the Williams-Sonoma Chopper :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Omigawd. I think I have fallen in love with the Williams-Sonoma Chopper :wub:

Jeez, Darienne, you have led me into temptation!

I didn't buy the chopper but I just HAD to dig around for "interesting stuff" and ended up ordering one of these: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/floating-mulling-spice-ball/?pkey=cspecialized-kitchen-tools|ctlsptspc :wub:

I have a bunch of herb and tea balls (one rice ball) so they have now become a collection and should look nice hung in a window that recently was cleared of an "egg-crate" frame that used to hold part of my collection of custard cups. More light and less stuff to dust!

I also ordered one of the Chop Nutter Nut Choppers for a gift for a friend who recently broke her vintage one and one of the microplane box graters for me to take the place of the three different ones that have handles at one end.

I note that they now offer a ratcheting garlic press but theirs doesn't have good reviews. I love the one I got from Lee Valley. I also found a ginger peeler! Like a spoon doesn't do a perfect job! :blink:

Anyway, I am now somewhat poorer after my trip through WS but on a brighter note, last week I sold my 21-year-old set of the Oxford English Dictionary so have some change with which to play.

Jeez, Darienne, you have led me into temptation!

Dear Girl, I cannot believe that you have the temerity to blame me for your own weaknesses. :raz:

I told Ed about the chopper and he just gave me the look. :hmmm: He does all our chopping. And also...as he calls them...'the mises' for Chinese food which we eat constantly.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

. . .

I didn't buy the chopper but I just HAD to dig around for "interesting stuff" and ended up ordering one of these: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/floating-mulling-spice-ball/?pkey=cspecialized-kitchen-tools|ctlsptspc :wub:

. . .

This topic is getting out of hand. :laugh: I too wandered through the site but so far have resisted EVERYTHING. I feel so VIRTUOUS. But damn, that potato ricer did call out. I have a perfectly good ricer and a food mill but.....................................

My 2004 eG Blog