• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dining in Prince Edward County

phoenikia

I'm visiting Prince Edward County on a Tuesday, and it looks like Harvest and Bloomfield Carriage House, often recommended on other boards, are closed on Tuesdays.

Where do you like to eat in PEC?

Options I've found include The Merrill Inn, The Waring House (either Amelia's Garden or the Barley Room pub), Currah's, as well as various wineries.

I've read about Slickers for ice cream, and Buddha Dog, and the various cheese companies located nearby. Which ice cream flavours does Slickers do best?

What other places would you suggest we visit?

Look forward to any comments or suggestions you might have.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

I'm visiting Prince Edward County on a Tuesday, and it looks like Harvest and Bloomfield Carriage House, often recommended on other boards, are closed on Tuesdays.

Options I've found include The Merrill Inn, The Waring House (either the dining room or the Barley Room pub), Currah's, as well as various wineries.

I've read about Slickers for ice cream, and Buddha Dogs, and the various cheese companies located nearby. What other places would you suggest we visit?

I've never had a good meal at the Waring House.

The Inn at the Lake on the Mountain is really pleasant, and seeing and learning about the lake is quite interesting, I think.

There's good soup at the Regent Cafe on Main Street in Picton.

Options I've found include The Merrill Inn, The Waring House (either the dining room or the Barley Room pub), Currah's, as well as various wineries.

I've read about Slickers for ice cream, and Buddha Dogs, and the various cheese companies located nearby. What other places would you suggest we visit?

The Inn at the Lake on the Mountain is really pleasant, and seeing and learning about the lake is quite interesting, I think.

There's good soup at the Regent Cafe on Main Street in Picton.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Are there any specific dishes you'd recommend at the Inn at the Lake on the Mountain?

• 3 weeks later...

Options I've found include The Merrill Inn, The Waring House (either Amelia's Garden or the Barley Room pub), Currah's, as well as various wineries.

I've read about Slickers for ice cream, and Buddha Dog, and the various cheese companies located nearby. Which ice cream flavours does Slickers do best?

What other places would you suggest we visit?

Ended up having a nice, light meal at Angeline's in Bloomfield. We arrived close to 9 pm, but the server who greeted us was happy to serve us, even though the posted closing time was just minutes away. Our server was gracious- she didn't rush us in any way, and the chef made the rounds, introducing himself to each table. The current chef is from Brittany, and I really enjoyed the food he created. Stronger and more interesting flavours than I would have expected in a Loyalist county like PEC.

The housemade ravioli with basil and sunflower seeds was delicious. Other dishes at our table (that I did not try) included trio of soups (involving ingredients like fennel and eggplant), trio of scallops, a shrimp salad, and an asparagus brulee.

The following morning, we had breakfast at the Devonshire Inn in Wellington where we stayed. The breakfast buffet was decent, although not really worth a detour. I did like the housemade sticky buns.

Stopped by the Marshmallow Room in Bloomfield- beautiful desserts including crisps, pies, scones, breads, which looked very tempting. Several healthy "cookies" involving spelt as well as what I would consider genuine cookies. I tried to capture an image of the desserts I saw, but at that moment, my camera decided to stop working. Maybe it was overwhelmed? If the desserts tasted even half as good as they looked, I think it would be a worthy stop in PEC.

Around noon, we enjoyed an ice cream at Slickers- I tried the Apple Pie flavour, and my guests tried the Rhubarb Ginger. Is there a source for Slickers in Toronto?

I've had several above average meals there, but that was seven or eight years ago.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack