• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lodge at Blue Ridge Summit

Zip

Took my mother here for her 85th birthday last Sunday and it was awful. Food, service and drinks. I live in another state but have been here before and it was "okay". There seems to be a lack of good restaurants in this area. Waynesboro, Quincy ... Does anyone know of any alternatives as I will never go back to The Lodge?

Your best bet is probably the Shamrock, on US 15 between Emmitsburg and Thurmont.  If you are willing to go further, I can recommend a couple of outstanding places north of Gettysburg.

Thanks and yes, I am willing to travel farther to eat well.

In Biglerville, in the middle of orchard country, is Pomona's, an adjunct of the Gettysburg Baking Co. We've eaten there several times recently and have been impressed with the menu, which changes all the time, and the food never disappoints. The chef tries to use locally sourced food as much as possible and on my most recent visit I had an entree which consisted of local morels, asparagus, and zucchini on a bed of polenta. Simple, yet satisfying. One dining companion had porchetta on creamed spinach with raisins and another had a fried tomato entree but I don't recall what else was in the dish.

Service can be a bit leisurely but always friendly. I recommend reservations because the place is quite small. BYOB.

To the east of Biglerville by a few miles is East Berlin and another excellent restaurant, Sidney. It is owned and operated by a local lad who succeeded at a young age as a chef in NYC(I believe he was the first executive cheff of Compass) but came home to open this place. Like Pomona's, the menu at Sidney changes frequently and is quite interesting. The chef knows how to cook and the presentations tend toward the artistic. I still salivate whenever I think about a spicy grilled calamari appetizer I had there last winter. He also tries to use locally produced foods, though, I think, probably to a lesser extent than the chef at Pomona's. Sidney is more upscale than Pomona's but it is by no means stuffy or pretentious. It has a full bar and a smallish, though decent, wine list.

Reservations are not necessary, in my experience, on weekdays. I don't know about weekends because we tend not to go out when most people do.

You will do well at either place.

• 2 weeks later...
In Biglerville, in the middle of orchard country, is Pomona's, an adjunct of the Gettysburg Baking Co.  We've eaten there several times recently and have been impressed with the menu, which changes all the time, and the food never disappoints.  The chef tries to use locally sourced food as much as possible and on my most recent visit I had an entree which consisted of local morels, asparagus, and zucchini on a bed of polenta.  Simple, yet satisfying.  One dining companion had porchetta on creamed spinach with raisins and another had a fried tomato entree but I don't recall what else was in the dish.

Service can be a bit leisurely but always friendly.  I recommend reservations because the place is quite small.  BYOB.

To the east of Biglerville by a few miles is East Berlin and another excellent restaurant, Sidney.  It is owned and operated by a local lad who succeeded at a young age as a chef in NYC(I believe he was the first executive cheff of Compass) but came home to open this place.  Like Pomona's, the menu at Sidney changes frequently and is quite interesting.  The chef knows how to cook and the presentations tend toward the artistic.  I still salivate whenever I think about a spicy grilled calamari appetizer I had there last winter.  He also tries to use locally produced foods, though, I think, probably to a lesser extent than the chef at Pomona's.  Sidney is more upscale than Pomona's but it is by no means stuffy or pretentious.  It has a full bar and a smallish, though decent, wine list. 

Reservations are not necessary, in my experience, on weekdays.  I don't know about weekends because we tend not to go out when most people do.

You will do well at either place.

Great suggestions and thanks again. Porchetta on creamed spinach.. OMG. Your descriptions of both places make me want to jump on a plane and come right down.