• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dog Themed Cocktails

eje

Been a bit obsessed lately with a certain new household member, Mr. Monty Woolley:

gallery_27569_3448_81190.jpg

...and we're contemplating having some friends over for a little meet and greet with cocktails.

Or, uh, Dogtails.

Aside from Salty Poodle and Greyhound, what are some good dog themed cocktails?

I've been working on this one, which I dig:

Laika Cocktail

2 oz Vodka

1/4 oz lemon

1/4 oz honey syrup

allspice dram

Rinse chilled cocktail glass with allspice dram and shake out excess. Stir vodka, lemon, and honey syrup with ice to chill. Strain into prepared cocktail glass. Squeeze orange peel over glass and discard.

When we opened Heaven's Dog, we got a lot of requests for "vodka citrus" cocktails. I was trying to think of a vodka cocktail I could actually enjoy and decided to riff on Krupnik. Krupnik reminded me of Sputnik, which reminded me of Laika. Thus the name.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Quite a while ago, I was teaching a private cocktail party class for a Junior League group, who wanted a cocktail "like a cosmopolitan" for their group. Using white rum and pomegranate juice, I came up with the Pomeranian:

2 fl oz white rum

1 fl oz pomegranate juice

1/2 fl oz triple sec

1/2 fl oz fresh lemon juice

1/4 fl oz grapefruit juice

It was a little on the sweet side, but they loved it. I preferred a version with the amounts of pomegranate and grapefruit reversed.

(I'm sure it's not the only cocktail out there called the Pomeranian.)

I didn't even bother picking up my Savoy, figuring that you'd already have that covered, but I found these two in Barflies and Cocktails.

Bloodhound Cocktail

1/3 Gin

1/3 French Vermouth

1/3 Italian Vermouth

2 or 3 Strawberries

Shake well, and strain

(This cocktail was introduced to London by the Duke of Manchester a few years ago)

Sounds nice, and this is the right season for it. If you have any Dolin Blanc on hand, I've found that combining it with strawberries is a match made in heaven.

Bull-Dog

Put 2 or 3 lumps of ice in a large tumbler, and the juice of 1 orange, 1 glass of Gin. Fill the balance with Ginger Ale. Stir, and serve with a straw.

If you ask me, though, Monty is so incredibly cute that he deserve his own cocktail.

ETA: As Monty is short for Montgomery, you could also make a Montgomery, a 15:1 martini, so named by Ernest Hemingway because, it was alleged, Monty was famous for never attacking unless the numbers were 15:1 on his side.

Edited by jmfangio (log)

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

There's also a Salty Chihuahua, replacing the gin in a Salty Dog with Tequila.

And serious congrats on the new family member. He is an absolute doll. LOVE the ears ! :wub:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

WRT the Montgomery martini I've always heard the story the other way round, that it's a tribute to Monty - Rommel would need 15 men to defeat one of Monty's

Back to the subject in hand, you could always try something based on lassi...

*gets coat*

Seriously, I can see a good Bajan rum like Doorly's 5 working well with a mango lassi. I think I'll have to try it soon

Cheers

Matt

ETA: He's a very good looking fellow, I'm jealous!

Edited by Mattmvb (log)

WRT the Montgomery martini I've always heard the story the other way round, that it's a tribute to Monty - Rommel would need 15 men to defeat one of Monty's

That's more or less how I remembered the story - that the odds were 15:1 against him, but when I did a quick look around on the web today, most stories pointed to the version above. History: not always an exact science.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Been a bit obsessed lately with a certain new household member, Mr. Monty Woolley:

...and we're contemplating having some friends over for a little meet and greet with cocktails.

Or, uh, Dogtails.

Aside from Salty Poodle and Greyhound, what are some good dog themed cocktails?

I've been working on this one, which I dig:

Laika Cocktail

2 oz Vodka

1/4 oz lemon

1/4 oz honey syrup

allspice dram

Rinse chilled cocktail glass with allspice dram and shake out excess.  Stir vodka, lemon, and honey syrup with ice to chill.  Strain into prepared cocktail glass.  Squeeze orange peel over glass and discard.

When we opened Heaven's Dog, we got a lot of requests for "vodka citrus" cocktails.  I was trying to think of a vodka cocktail I could actually enjoy and decided to riff on Krupnik.  Krupnik reminded me of Sputnik, which reminded me of Laika.  Thus the name.

Any sort of hair-of-the-dog.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

That's more or less how I remembered the story - that the odds were 15:1 against him, but when I did a quick look around on the web today, most stories pointed to the version above. History: not always an exact science.

The version less flattering to Montgomery is a bit more in keeping with his record, being an extremely cautious commander in the field--though perhaps rightfully so. His successes were due in large part to his very methodical nature and insistence on choosing to confront the enemy on his own terms, though 15:1 is clearly an exaggeration in that regard.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Salty Pomeranian

2.0 oz. Pearl Persephone Pomegranate Vodka

.5 oz. Lime Cordial (homemade is best. Rose's will do.)

.5 oz. fresh Lime Juice

.5 oz. simple syrup (1:1)

2.0 oz. Ruby Red Grapefruit juice

Shake over ice and pour into salt rimmed Collins glass. Garnish with a lime

wedge.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Asta Collins

2.0 oz Vodka

.5 oz Lime Juice

1 oz Grapefruit Juice

.5 oz Simple Syrup

.50 oz Campari

Top: Soda Water

Glass: Collins

Garnish: Radius Cut Lime Wheel

Ice: Chard

Shake. Strain. Top with Soda Water.

This is a riff on an Astor Martini. Asta being the dog in the Thin Man.

It is this really pretty pink and then has a wicked bitterness from the Campari.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Lots of good choices!

I always forget about the Bloodhound, even though I think it's a great cocktail, especially when made with punt e mes.

That will definitely have to go on the menu!

We're big Thin Man/Asta fans, but what is it with dog cocktails and vodka?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Can switch out the vodka for gin and then you have Gin and Juice, which happens to be a favorite of Snoop Doggs

Rolling down the street smoking endo, sipping on gin and juice, got my mind on my money

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE