• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

exotic food in hawaii

PakePorkChop

Well, if you're looking for balut (fertilized eggs, a specialty from the Philippines), you occasionally can find them at the People's Open Market in Wahiawa (and maybe at some other local greenmarkets).

Or were you looking for foods a little less exotic?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Maybe not so exotic, but one of the nice and unusual things to do in Hawai'i is to visit the shrimp farms on the north shore of O'ahu for really fresh shrimp. We usually go to one called Romy's Shrimp Shack, but I know there's an older one that is often recommended.

Also not so exotic, but not what tourists usually think of in Hawai'i is Leonard's hot malasadas.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Well, if you're looking for balut (fertilized eggs, a specialty from the Philippines), you occasionally can find them at the People's Open Market in Wahiawa (and maybe at some other local greenmarkets).

Or were you looking for foods a little less exotic?

Aloha, Suzy! Balut is well within the range of what I am looking for. I'm still trying to find Glossyp to arrange a get-together.

Thanks, David, for the suggestion. I'm looking for food well beyond shrimp, such as goat organs, fish maw, and the like.

I don't recall exactly when it is, but there's been an annual poke competition on Moloka'i for a number of years, and some more unusual things show up there, like poke with opihi. You might search the website of the Moloka'i _Dispatch_ to see when the last one took place.

Hunting is quite popular on Moloka'i, and it's fairly common to see a bunch of guys driving home from a hunt with a deer or a wild pig in the back of their truck, but I haven't seen it showing up in the few restaurants on the island.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)