• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles!

hjshorter

Bread and Butter are some of my favorites. If I see them at a farmer's market or specialty store I will always pick some up. They're great with some really good sharp cheddar cheese.

And thanks JAZ, I will look for that book.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I (and about 10 friends) have all tried growing zucchini here, me for the last 5 years. i have only managed to get 1 zucchini in all of those years! I have tried everything, but it tends to all rot in the middle of rainy season, which just started last week!

I have 2 plants now and they are the biggest I have gotten them and I have about 4 pinky sized zucchini, however in the past as soon as they got this big they started to rot. So I guess i will have to wait and see, it is a lot cooler this year than it usually is, so maybe that is helping.

Is there any chance you're feeding it too much nitrogen, either natural or chemical?

I (and about 10 friends) have all tried growing zucchini here, me for the last 5 years. i have only managed to get 1 zucchini in all of those years! I have tried everything, but it tends to all rot in the middle of rainy season, which just started last week!

I have 2 plants now and they are the biggest I have gotten them and I have about 4 pinky sized zucchini, however in the past as soon as they got this big they started to rot. So I guess i will have to wait and see, it is a lot cooler this year than it usually is, so maybe that is helping.

Is there any chance you're feeding it too much nitrogen, either natural or chemical?

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

nitrogen? I'm feeding it water when it isn't raining.............

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I (and about 10 friends) have all tried growing zucchini here, me for the last 5 years. i have only managed to get 1 zucchini in all of those years! I have tried everything, but it tends to all rot...

I posted this in answer to your question on the garden thread

I am copying this from the pickles thread:

What makes it go to rot like that?

Zucchini and other squash, watermelons, cucumbers (all cucurbits) really do like it to be hot and dry. Here in Colorado, the problem is almost always too much zucchini. :biggrin: A couple of websites that will help you identify your specific problems (many different bacterial and/or fungal diseases, as well as insects, can cause the symptoms you describe). squash Info

There are many possible causes of so called "blossom rot," including Pythium Rot; Choanephora Rot; Gray Mold (Botrytis cinerea);Belly Rot (Rhizoctonia solani);

Gummy Stem Blight Mycosphaerella melonis (Didymella bryoniae); Soft Rot(Erwinia carotovora pv. carotovora, Pseudomonas spp. and several other bacteria). I bet that's more than you ever wanted to know.:laugh::biggrin:

These websites squash and Info both have good pictures of the fruit problems you may be seeing, as well as information on treating the problem.

I meant animal shit - more politely termed manure - mixed into the soil. Or a chemical nitrogen fertilzer mixed into the soil. Too much nitrogen can lead to great stem and leaf development and that's about it.

My pickled jalapeno recipe has been posted.

Anybody got one for pickled peaches? I remember one that was almost as sweet as sweet pickles and had some spices in there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Indians make many different pickles through the many seasons.

Most recipes change depending on the regions and also from home to home.

Recipes for pickling are some of the few recipes that actually are handed down generationally and require measurement. Certainly some exceptions to this rule do occur, but for the most part, pickling has been better chronicled than other aspects of Indian cookery.

Here are links to past threads related to pickling in the Indian kitchens.

1) Bottles of Savor

India is in love with its highly spiced pickles, and making them at home has had a renaissance

By SUVIR SARAN and STEPHANIE LYNESS, SPECIAL TO THE LA TIMES

2) Pickles/Preserves

3) Andhra Pickles

Andhra Pradesh is a state in Southern India. Andhra Pradesh is famous for its pickles. Many of which are very spicy.

4) Pickle - What's your favorite, and how do you eat it?

5) Pickles and Kanji

"Since it was winter in Delhi it was time to put large ceramic jars out in the sun to make various style pickles. It is also the season for making of kaanji - A beetroot, and spices laden concoction."

My pickled jalapeno recipe has been posted.

Anybody got one for pickled peaches? I remember one that was almost as sweet as sweet pickles and had some spices in there.

I'll dig out my grandmother's recipe and post it tomorrow.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I meant animal shit - more politely termed manure - mixed into the soil. Or a chemical nitrogen fertilzer mixed into the soil. Too much nitrogen can lead to great stem and leaf development and that's about it.

nope, no animal shit!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I do dilly beans and dilly okra, both with nice red peppers and garlic cloves. I don't like pickles, but I hear that they are quite tasty.

I have also pickled crab apples, but I moved away from the tree, so don't make them anymore.

sparrowgrass

Here’s the recipe my mom uses for bread and butter pickles. She told me she got it from my grandmother’s cousin Irma Best, but doesn’t think the “Best” in the recipe title is from Irma’s name. I’ve been eating these as long as I can remember.

Company Best Pickles

10 medium pickling cucumbers (Mom likes them on the small side and sometimes uses a dozen)

8 c sugar

2 T mixed pickling spice

5 t salt (pickling salt, a non-iodized granulated salt)

4 c apple cider vinegar

wash the cucumbers well, scrubbing to remove the little prickly stubble

place in an earthenware crock, plastic bucket, or other non-reactive container and cover with boiling water. leave overnight, drain, and repeat three more times (for a total of 4 soaking cycles)

(Mom says she often rinses the cukes since the soaking water can get a little cloudy)

on the 5th day, drain, rinse, and slice the cucumbers into half-inch chunks. don’t slice thinly. return to crock

combine the other ingredients, bring to a boil, and pour over sliced cukes. use a plate or other weight to make sure all cukes are completely submerged. let soak 2 days

spoon the pickles into jars and place the jars in a pan of hot water to heat. bring the pickling brine to a boil, pour over pickles, and seal jars. Mom says she doesn’t process the jars, but check to make sure they seal. Store any that don’t in the refrigerator and eat first.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Here is a recipe always called Bread and Butter pickles in my family for many, many years.

1 gallon sliced cucumbers (I use Kirby) and cut them with my Cuisinart slicer. 2 onions sliced thin, 4 cups of vinegar, 1/4 to 1/2 cup salt, 4 cups sugar, 1 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed. Simply stir brine and pour over cucumbers (don't boil)

I put them in clean pint bottles and keep, in the refrigerator. You can also just put them in a gallon jug with a light closure.

Pretty easy and very good. I keep them in refrigerator a long time

beverlyq

I used to go to a place in RI that would give you a little dish of garlic pickles along with the menu (Richard's Pub).

I loved the way they tasted so much that I decided to try to duplicate them. I had been growing picklers for a long time because I think they have a better flavor than regular cukes. The first time out of the chute, I was blown away at how good they were, twice as good as what I was hoping to duplicate! I now use these as bribes at work on a regular basis. These are refrigerator pickles, so they must be kept in the frige and used within a few weeks. Once you taste them, that will not be a problem.

In a perfect world, pick the cukes when you are ready to make these. I have made some great batches with good looking winter ones from the grocery store, however. Just make sure they are not so mature that the seeds have gotten woody, no matter where they come from.

I use 1 quart mayo jars and buy the plastic canning lids for them.

Into each quart jar place 3 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tsp dried dill weed and 2 tbs kosher salt. Rinse off the cukes (breaking off the spines if they are freshly picked). Slice them lengthwise into quarters or into 3/4 " slices. Pack them into the jar fairly tightly. If quartered slices, I try to keep the skin sides out, just for appearance.

Fill the jar with distilled vinegar to just below the shoulder of the jar (just before it starts to turn inward. Top off with tap water, cap tightly and shake until you see that all the salt has disolved. Refrigerate for three days.

That's it.

I used to go to a place in RI that would give you a little dish of garlic pickles along with the menu (Richard's Pub).

I loved the way they tasted so much that I decided to try to duplicate them. I had been growing picklers for a long time because I think they have a better flavor than regular cukes. The first time out of the chute, I was blown away at how good they were, twice as good as what I was hoping to duplicate! I now use these as bribes at work on a regular basis. These are refrigerator pickles, so they must be kept in the frige and used within a few weeks. Once you taste them, that will not be a problem.

In a perfect world, pick the cukes when you are ready to make these. I have made some great batches with good looking winter ones from the grocery store, however.  Just make sure they are not so mature that the seeds have gotten woody, no matter where they come from.

I use 1 quart mayo jars and buy the plastic canning lids for them.

Into each quart jar place 3 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tsp dried dill weed and 2 tbs kosher salt. Rinse off the cukes (breaking off the spines if they are freshly picked). Slice them lengthwise into quarters or into 3/4 " slices. Pack them into the jar fairly tightly. If quartered slices, I try to keep the skin sides out, just for appearance.

Fill the jar with distilled vinegar to just below the shoulder of the jar (just before it starts to turn inward. Top off with tap water, cap tightly and shake until you see that all the salt has disolved. Refrigerate for three days.

That's it.

Okay, I'll bite! Gotta try this, and soon.

Mmmm bread & butter pickles.  Absolutely essential for liverwurst sandwiches....

Damn you. Liverwurst sandwiches 'n bread and butter pickles. I've had 4 sandwiches today since I read your post.

A GREAT combo I had long forgotten about. What brand liverwurst do you use?

Mmmm bread & butter pickles.  Absolutely essential for liverwurst sandwiches....

Damn you. Liverwurst sandwiches 'n bread and butter pickles. I've had 4 sandwiches today since I read your post.

Thumann's braunschweiger, for a while now. Really really good. What brand do you use?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Thumann's braunschweiger, for a while now. Really really good. What brand do you use?

Basic 'Kahn's "Bavarian Brand' braunschweiger"' (Washington DC Safeway option). Mayo and b & b pickles as per your post.

My mom used oscar-meyer (ok, i suppose) liverwurst.

Excuse me if i claim the combo as comfort-food.

Edited by dave88 (log)