• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kyoto - eGullet sushi lunches

Rachel Perlow

My girlfriend is going to join us also. The count is now 9. If anyone else is goin to be able to join us, just let me know. I'll call Sushi chef Bruce tomorrow and set something up for approx $40-45 a person.

Sorry to cancel, and especially so late. Familial obligations have arisen, and as i told Mrs. Perlow, if there's any monetary loss i've caused i will happily reimburse.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

And a good time was had by all. Many thanks to Lou Reda for organizing this feast. The sushi IMHO was a cut above other restaurants. Of course there were more wine, beer and saki bottles on the table than people! I think Suzanne was going to describe our meal and Rachel took pictures. I just want to know if Anthony made his conference call? :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Yes Rosie I did pull off the conference call...luckily it was more of me listening to my client and his attorney with my intervening with a few yes and no's when appropriate. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and I would like to thank Lou for organizing the event. I thought the food was exceptional - I particullairly enjoyed the orange tuna dish - very different and very well done, and the alcohol to people content is certainly to be commended. Looking forward to another get together - next time however I will be taking the rest of the afternoon off. :biggrin:

A.D.S.

Sorry it's Friday and I'm getting ready for Friday service.After yesterday's lunch at Kyoto, Susanne and I were fortunate enough to enjoy a 4 course tasting menu prepared by Aldo Cirelli at Luigi's in Succcasunna. More details to follow on both lunch and dinner tomorrow...

Lou

Here's the pictures from our lunch:

fd0a2263.jpg.thumb.jpg Seared Pepper Crusted Tuna

fd0a2261.jpg.thumb.jpg

Tuna sashimi with Spicy Orange Sauce

fd0a2260.jpg.thumb.jpg

Boat of Special Rolls with Nigiri Sushi in the background - the nigiri was my favorite part of the meal. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of that platter. It consisted of red and white tuna, beautifully sliced salmon showing the stripes of fat, spanish mackeral, and amaebi (sweet shrimp).

fd0a225f.jpg.thumb.jpg

Attendees (from left to right): RockADS21, Rosie and Lowell Saferstein, Lou Reda, Kim WB, Suzanne (lreda's girlfriend). RPerlow taking the photo.

I thought it was very good sushi, and the orange citrus tuna was really extraordinary. None of the rolls packed the kind of heat and intensity that I prefer, but they were balanced and the primary flavor ( salmon. lobster) had the opportunity to shine through. I've got to get all the sushi lovers down to my neck of the woods, to Bonzai, in the Princeton area, for the Taka wasabi and the fluke fin salad!

Thanks Lou, for getting us together. It's nice sometimes when it is a small group and you have an opportunity to chat with everyone.

First off, I'd like to thank those who attended and it was nice to actually put faces to names. Obviously I've developed a relationship with Lowell & Rosie in the past but it was great to meet Rachel ( At the door because we were late, though I still think I said 1:00 not 12:30 but we were quickly forgiven as the wine, sake & beer started flowing and food arrived promptly), Kim & Anthony.

We started with miso soup which was a little weak in flavor, the a good seaweed salad to open up the palate. We then had the peppered tuna, which I had the week before but with white tuna. I thought the white tuna the week before was of better quality but this week's was still good. My favorite was the orange tuna sashami. At first I thought it was too sweet but after a minute the spice kicked. A perfect example of proper spicing. The rolls are described in my earlier post but the extra one we had was with smoked salmon but I don't remember what else was in it. This in part because I started hitting Anthony's sake.

Anthony will have to get back to you on the name of the sake. I brought some Magic Hat #9 beer to start with than gratuated to Newton Chardonnay Unfiltered which went well with the orange tuna, then Duckhorn Sav Blanc for the sushi & rolls.

Overall a fun time, Thanks to Rachel for taking the photos, Kim for providing some laughs on being married to a chef and dealing with our huge egos ( Anyone see my blender :wink: ) and Anthony for the interest in being restauraneur.(sic) I'll see you in the kitchen at my place one weekend Anthony, the offer's still open, and of course to Lowell & Rosie for keeping the conversation flowing.

I still think I said 1:00 not 12:30

I was going to let it drop, but then I said to myself, "nah." So, I reviewed both this thread and the one that started it all (see the first post in this thread for a link) and the only times ever batted about were noon and 12:30. So there. :raz:

I still think I said 1:00 not 12:30

I was going to let it drop, but then I said to myself, "nah." So, I reviewed both this thread and the one that started it all (see the first post in this thread for a link) and the only times ever batted about were noon and 12:30. So there. :raz:

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

I look foward to speaking with you again Rachel. We'll try to sit together next time

• 1 year later...

that was some super sushi.

i generally don't like my raw fish seared at all, but the tuna, pictured above, was just perfect. just barely seared.

all the wines were great. lreda managed to bring a chardonnay that i actually enjoyed! it's been a while since i've enjoyed chardonnay. and the ice wine (sauvignon blanc) was a perfect dessert.

Spicy mayonaisse. I'm pretty sure this is a Korean owned place, and they frequently use a combination of mayonaisse and chili sauce as a condiment. I actually didn't care for that roll (Godzilla roll, I think), as the sauce overwhelms the other ingredients. We had some other specialty rolls earlier in the meal, one with white nori, which were more delicate, but I didn't remember to take their picture because we were all so hungry and just dug in.

I enjoyed the godzilla roll, sauve was a bit overwelming but had good flavor. We also had The Romantic roll which was Yellow tail & avacado inside with spicy & white tuna with a nori wrap. The other was The Hot Lover's roll with shrimp tempura , spicy tuna & avacado inside wrapped with a soy bean seaweed wrap in a spicy kabayaki sauce. We also had a Three stooges roll, tuna, salmon, yellow tail, fish egg and cucumber wrapped in white seaweed.

As far as sushi, we had tuna, spanish mackeral, salmon and eel.

Pete brought a Pinot Gries which I didn't see the producer. Tommy brought a German Lossen Reisling. The Rock brought a bottle of sake which Kyoto warmed for us. I brought a bottle of Chalk Hill Chard and a bottle of the affornmentioned Ice wine which was from Oregon called Sokol Blossom.

A great lunch, glad we made the switch.