• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tahiti cookbooks in English

johung

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any new or recent (published within the past 10 years) cookbooks on the cooking of Tahiti/French Polynesia in English? I could only find Jean Galopin's La cuisine de Tahiti et de ses îles (ISBN 2950243428) and Lisa Mairai Bellais's Cuisine de Tahiti d'hier et d'aujourd hui (ISBN 2915654174) but they are in French only.

My interests on this srea is primarily on the cooking of Tahiti since I went to the place as a stopover a few years ago and found the food very different but strikingly good (perhaps the chefs have French training - even the average Sofitel hotel chefs cook better than their counterparts in New Zealand), and I also like the fusion between native Tahitian cooking (similar to other Pacific Islands) and French cuisine.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Regards,

"Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen: More than 150 Authentic Dishes from one of the World's Most Delicious and Overlooked Cuisines" includes a chapter on Tahiti (as well as Samoa, Fiji, Hawaii, New Zealand, etc.). It was published in 2002.

http://www.tahiticuisine.com/ refers to a cookbook to be published in 2009, but there are no clickable links on the webpage and no additional information.

ETA: http://www.tahitienterprises.com/ is where you can find contact information for the cookbook mentioned above. They also have a book about Tahitian cocktails that looks interesting.

EATA: Here's the ToC for the Tahitian chapter of the Sam Choy book

Appetizers    224

Oyster Poor Boy    224

Poisson Cru    225

Tuna Carpaccio with Confit Cabbage and Avocado    226

Soups    227

Tahitian Shrimp Soup    227

Chilled Minted Papaya Soup    228

Salads    229

La Crevette Pochee with Green Papaya Salad    229

Tahitian Nicoise Salad    230

Main Dishes    231

Chicken Fafa    231

Cold Trout in Vegetable Herb Fumet    232

Cuire au Poisson    233

Fresh Prawns in Coconut Milk    234

Tahitian Cold Lobster    234

Sauteed Snapper with Soy Butter Sauce    236

Tahitian Fish Stew    237

Side Dishes    238

Le Calamar Fafa    238

Tahitian Coconut Bread    239

Condiments    240

Horseradish Vinaigrette    240

Soy-Balsamic Vinaigrette    241

Spicy Poor Boy Sauce    242

Tahitian Caramel-Vanilla Syrup    242

Tarragon-French Mustard Vinaigrette    243

Desserts    244

Baked Banana Vanilla Custard    244

Tahitian Po'e    245

Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream    246

Beverages    247

Tahitian Caramel-Vanilla Coffee    247

Tahitian Vanilla Colada 

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 11 months later...

Pinging an old thread started by myself, there is a new book published in New Zealand last week about cuisines of a number of Pacific Island nations including Tahiti.

Me'a kai: The Food and Flavours of the South Pacific is written by Robert Oliver. In addition to being tourist destinations, NZ's traditional links with the Pacific Island nations (Cook Islands, Niue, and Tokelau are still overseas dependent territories of NZ, while Samoa was a former colony, and Tonga and Fiji have had a very close relationship with NZ politically) and there are in fact more Pacific Islanders living in Auckland than the Pacific Island nations combined, means the Islands are regarded in NZ as being brothers and which NZ has a responsibility to aid.

http://www.randomhouse.co.nz/data/media/documents/press%20releases/April_2010/Me%27a_Kai_PR.pdf

"...Tonga, Fiji, Tahiti, Samoa, Vanuatu and the Cook Islands to track down the most skilled local cooks. Adapting their recipes for modern kitchens, this outstanding, landmark book brings together a treasury of South Pacific cooking, arranged country by country, with 90-plus recipes and stunning photos that capture the essence of the Pacific.

And there’s much more than just recipes. As well as showcasing traditional and modern South Pacific cuisine, Me’a Kai, meaning “come eat” in Tongan, covers fascinating encounters with local cooks and food producers. Flipping through its pages is like going on holiday! And it will inspire readers to seek out local food on their next Pacific holiday.

It is a book with a clear mission: to support sustainable tourism in the South Pacific...Robert’s goal is to improve the quality of food offered to the South Pacific region’s tourism market and to contribute towards rural prosperity in the Pacific by creating an increased demand for locally grown foods.

Underpinned by a philosophy of sustainable tourism, sustainable agriculture and sustainable cuisine, Me’a Kai is much more than just a cookbook, it is a fundamental part of this process."