• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining al fresco with dog- rain starts!

brescd01

The couple next to us, who was brought inside, brought their baby in baby carriage, by the way, another "thing" some people don't like at dinner.

Even my dog-loving hubby, treasurer of our state bar's animal law section, would be offended at the equation of human children with animals. Dogs are prohibited by the health code. It is patently selfish to expect an establishment required by law to follow certain rules to make an exception for you, regardless of the weather. It's not really about customer service at all.

This really does sum it up nicely.

Personally, I get mildly offended when someone has the audacity to bring a dog to my eating establishment. I liken it to being subjected to a smoker while I am trying to enjoy my meal. As a diner, I too like to go out on a beautiful evening and perhaps sit outside and enjoy a quiet meal. The last thing I want is to sit a few feet from someone's dog.

Next time leave your dog home.

Wrong re "summing up nicely." In Philadelphia one often sees a couple with their dog(s) sitting at an outdoor cafe. (Not really an outdoor cafe, but a row of tables along the sidewalk.) Some restaurants put out a water bowl to encourage canines.

Because the sidewalks are mostly narrow, there are often turf disputes between outdoor cafe dogs and sidewalk dogs. While I enjoy the street theater, I am sure other diners find it annoying.

Edited by heidih (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I am coming to Oyster House tonight with my wife: can I bring my dog?

No. There's no outdoor seating.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol