• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winnipeg's Year-Round Farmers Market

We don't have one yet, but there was a story in today's Free Press about a plan to build a farmer's market that could be open all year.

"We have something started," said Dianna Mae Hocaluk, executive director of the Farmers' Market Association of Manitoba. "We're actually quite excited about it."

I'd love to see it, but would it be able to provide local products all year? Does it matter?

I'm having trouble imagining what they would sell during the winter months. One of the highlights of a farmer's market (any farmer's market) is the fresh locally grown vegetables and fruits. Without those, how different would a year-round farmer's market be from, say, The Forks?

And if you want to see the future of a year-round farmer's market, just take a look at The Forks. Sad sad sad.

I have the same problem -- figuring out what local produce they can sell in the winter (and spring, really). But you know, you have a good point.

The Forks is, I think, a failure. Instead of putting up a new building for the farmer's market, maybe they should take that idea to the Forks management and do a better job there. It would be great to see locals actually going to the Forks and combining the two might do it. With imported produce. In theory, meat and dairy produces can go year-round. Some produce is good into the winter months . .greenhouses are already producing things. Who knows.

In the summer they could set up stands outside -- now that I think about it, why isn't there a farmer's market there during the summer?