• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An excess of chipotle in adobo.

Tri2Cook

One day last week, I was at the only local grocery store and noticed that, for the first time ever, they have chipotle in adobo on the shelf (Does that give you an idea of how remote it is here and why ingredient sourcing is a lot of fun?). The next thing I noticed was that these shiny new 27 oz. cans of chipotle in adobo are only $1.

I know that's not right, it's usually 2 or 3 times that for a 7 oz. can in places with more realistic prices than we pay for everything here. My first instinct is to take them and run. Then my conscience kicks in so I ask the stocker working the aisle if it's correct. He scans it with some gadget and says "yep, that's right". So I grab all 12 cans from the shelf, go to the register and question the price again. The cashier scans it and says "yep that's the price". Are you sure? "Yep." Ok, then. So now I have over 18 lbs. of chipotle in adobo for $12 and no idea what I'm going to do with it all. Good thing it keeps.

As a side note, today at the store I noticed that the space those cans occupied is now occupied by the 7 oz. cans selling for $3.98 each. I suspect someone got in trouble.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One day last week, I was at the only local  grocery store and noticed that, for the first time ever, they have chipotle in adobo on the shelf (Does that give you an idea of how remote it is here and why ingredient sourcing is a lot of fun?). The next thing I noticed was that these shiny new 27 oz. cans of chipotle in adobo are only $1.

I know that's not right, it's usually 2 or 3 times that for a 7 oz. can in places with more realistic prices than we pay for everything here. My first instinct is to take them and run. Then my conscience kicks in so I ask the stocker working the aisle if it's correct. He scans it with some gadget and says "yep, that's right". So I grab all 12 cans from the shelf, go to the register and question the price again. The cashier scans it and says "yep that's the price". Are you sure? "Yep." Ok, then. So now I have over 18 lbs. of chipotle in adobo for $12 and no idea what I'm going to do with it all. Good thing it keeps.

As a side note, today at the store I noticed that the space those cans occupied is now occupied by the 7 oz. cans selling for $3.98 each. I suspect someone got in trouble.

Which store was this?

It's a privately owned independent. I have to drive over an hour to reach any "name-brand" stores.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A well timed question! Last week at NOCA in Phoenix, MoltoE shared a new cocktail that they were working on - this is my best guess as to the technique: Vodka steeped with chipotle, strained, purified to clear, a bit of celery infused salt on the rim of the glass...and a chipotle martini ala Bloody Mary.

I chop up a chipotle and mix it with mayo, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic for a nice dip for french fries.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

A few interesting recipes from my to-try file:

Smoky Chipotle Butter

http://www.recipezaar.com/Smoky-Chipotle-Butter-184307

Potato Salad With Chipotle Peppers

http://www.recipezaar.com/Potato-Salad-Wit...ans-Salad-60560

CHIPOTLE-BARBECUED SHRIMP WIH GOAT CHEESE CREAM

http://www.recipezaar.com/Chipotle-Barbecu...ese-Cream-41126

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

When I open even a small can, I usually don't use it all.  I portion it out into little freezer containers and freeze it.  It keeps a long time!

My standard operating procedure is to puree the entire contents of the can (adding a little water if necessary) and then refrigerate it until it's used up. It will last well over a month, which is plenty of time for me to go through a small can. Only rarely do I encounter a recipe that doesn't call for mincing or pureeing the chipotles first, so this just gets it all out of the way at once.

I add it to all kinds of dips, salsas and sauces, including salad dressings for Southwestern/Mexican slaws or tossed salads.

Chipotle ice cream?

I'm laughing as I read that because that was one of the first things that crossed my mind. I'm glad I'm not the only twisted person in this thread. :biggrin:

Chipotle ice cream?

I'm laughing as I read that because that was one of the first things that crossed my mind. I'm glad I'm not the only twisted person in this thread. :biggrin:

:rolleyes: I keep thinking of chocolate -- brownies or a rich cake, perhaps......... :rolleyes:

I also usually puree the whole can upon opening, and then I put in a tupperware type container and freeze... it defrosts really quickly and refreezes great...

I put a couple tablespoons of the puree in a bag with a trimmed pork tenderloin, vac and seal, and let marinate overnight or about 24 hours... then into a 58.3C waterbath for about an hour or so.... remove from bag and torch while basting with the bag juices.. serve with a gastrique...

Or sometimes we do buffalo burgers with ground buffalo - since I don't have an outdoor grill, I'll smoke them for about 10 min., then grill until rare... top with sliced avocado and chipotle puree...

Also agree with the above - chipotle aioli rocks....

A lot of really great ideas rolling in. I think it will be easy to make use of them with this crowd as an idea source. Thanks everybody and keep 'em coming.

Orange-chipotle salsa, with red onion, red bell pepper, lime juice, and cilantro. Great with pork or beef!

And, I have been known to chop a chipotle and mix it into my hot cereal in the morning.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

I add chipotle puree to mashed sweet potatoes -- the sweetness is a good match for the smoke.

I have tried adding dried chipotles (ground up) to brownies, but it's easy to overdo it -- the smokiness becomes acrid if you add too much. I've come to prefer cayenne or ancho.

Chocolate-Chile Bread Pudding. Oh yeah. You oughta be able to use up at least a little bit of that in a bread pudding made with dark chocolate chips, the very best stale croissants/brioche/whatever eggy bread or challah and some subtle heat provided by the pureed chipotles. Drop a basic spicy custard over the torn up bread with the chocolate chips mixed in. You'd have to actively work at making this bad.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I add chipotle puree to mashed sweet potatoes -- the sweetness is a good match for the smoke.

It certainly is.

I've added them to sweet potatoes as well.

Another thing I like to do is take a couple of cans and puree with a block of guava paste. The quava gives it some sweetness. Not as much as you would think and with only a hint of guava in the background. This makes a nice condiment to add to so many things. Soups, stews and even a tuna fish sandwich. The chipotle/guava mix holds up well in the fridge for a very long time.