• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's on your kitchen table?

Today's newspaper.

Coupons for restaurants we might use. Same with some home services.

The current issue of Cuisine at Home, opened to some random page.

The packaging material for the bark ender that arrived Friday.

A box of tissues

A calculator.

Stamps.

Return Address labels.

A pewter mug full of pens.

Junk mail.

Two bank statements that need opening.

The last two issues of Locus magazine.

A scientific toy consisting of a copper tube and a magnet (don't ask)

My husband's Ipod.

The milk sheet (we put it out for our milk delivery if we don't want the standard order)

A paperback book.

A box that once contained my husband's good pen

There's more, but I'm not digging down any deeper. We basically have enough clear space to put down two plates, two salad bowls, and two glasses. That's it.

I gave up trying to keep the table clear years ago. It's a sisyphean task. It gets cleaned off when we have company who need to eat there with us and the rest of the time I don't worry about it.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Salt grinder and matching pepper grinder (gifts)

flowers in vase

3 napkins

2009 'Father's Day' placemat & card.

Honeydo list for him from her

Its the only place in the house that gets tidied 2x a day.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

That would be the breakfast bar cut into the wall between the living room area and the kitchen.

Let's see

A small TV and corresponding satellite box

The remote for above

A very cool, space ship-looking hurricane with a suspended candle inside

A bottle of hand lotion

The cookbooks I'm using this week

My kitchen journal with cut out or printed recipes I'm using this week

A ceramic angel

A notepad, pad of stickie notes and a pen

Way more prescription drugs than just one person should have

A brass angel candle snuffer

Usually the two daily papers (or how ever many day's I'm behind) but I've read them today

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

We have two eating places in the kitchen - our island is 12ftx6ft and has my stove built in - I keep a spoon rest and my pretty salt and pepper shakers on the griddle part. On the actual island is a HUUUUGE bowl of big huge pottery fruits, my fish bowl, a bowl of green apples, and my laptop. I can not STAND having stuff on the island that doesn't belong there or isn't being used at the time.

On the actual dining table there are 6 place mats with chargers and napkins on them. I have a large vase of sunflowers in the center. I like to keep that table "set" because I find it inviting that way. It kind of reminds me to actually serve meals there sometimes lol.

It's times like this I realize I'm more of a neat freak than I generally think. We have a rule in our house -- no junk on the dining room table (we don't have a kitchen table) or the kitchen island or the foyer table.... But you should see the laundry room, which I avoid as much as I can because it's turned into the default dumping ground for mail and the like.

So here's a pic of my own table. I took this Christmas week, but it still looks just the same because that's just the way we keep it.

gallery_16410_6133_71850.jpg

• Like 1

It's times like this I realize I'm more of a neat freak than I generally think. We have a rule in our house -- no junk on the dining room table (we don't have a kitchen table) or the kitchen island or the foyer table.... But you should see the laundry room, which I avoid as much as I can because it's turned into the default dumping ground for mail and the like.

So here's a pic of my own table. I took this Christmas week, but it still looks just the same because that's just the way we keep it.

I am sooooooooo jealous! (Could you please come over and declutter my house?)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

When I was in graduate school, I couldn't do major papers til the house was clean. It's a thing with me. If my house is a'clutter, so's my head... Over the years too, my husband and I moved a lot for his job and got used to keeping our lives pretty stream-lined, and now keeping clutter at a total minimum is just a way of life. With the exception of my laundry room, which really isn't that bad, my whole house looks pretty much like that.

Course it helps it's just the two of us, which is just as well as kid clutter would probably have driven me batshit insane.

It looks like it belongs in Architectural Digest.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We have a dining table that also acts as the kitchen table. There's a tiny island but it is by the doorway so that holds:

our banana tree with half a bunch of bananas

a crystal candy keeper

a small tray that has bottles of fish sauce, thai kick sauce, chick toothpick holder and maggie seasoning.

our trusty turbo broiler

On our kitchen table, we have:

today's newspaper

Memo from my son's school (in korean)

my glasses (have contacts on)

Some bills that have been automatically deducted from our bank account

empty drinking bottles

my hubby's backpack (actually on the chair, but that's where he usually deposits it)

my celphone

A roll of paper towels

A roll of toilet paper (which I use like tissue since we're out of boxes of tissue)

In the mornings, I usually all the lot except for the paper towels. Then the whole table seem to magically attract the same lot above by the end of the day.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

It looks like it belongs in Architectural Digest.

We table shopped for two years and nothing wowed us. And then we found THAT. Which to me is a work of art. It's sort of Frank Lloyd Wright-like, that table. Cluttering it up would be criminal.

Hmmm, kitchen table...

Usually my laptop computer, unless it is on the chair, whatever magazine my husband is reading at breakfast, a stack of placemats (some in front of the chairs we eat in, the rest in the middle of the table taking the place of a hot pad). Currently there are also a couple of statements from the insurance company and a bill that haven't been filed yet.

We eat our meals on that table. The laptop will be moved to a chair, and depending on the number of magazines/bills, they may get moved to a chair also, but they'll end up back on the table by the next night. I hate having clutter on my table when I eat.

The dining room table... Always has a butt-ugly plastic table cloth on it. And whatever board game my husband is currently testing or playing. It has to be a pretty special occassion for me to actually see the beautiful wood top on that table.

The only table that is usually completely clear of clutter is the one on the screen porch. During the Spring, it is covered with pollen (which I don't even bother trying to clear off until pollen season is over, and then I start by vaccuuming it off folllowed by several wash/rinse cycles with soapy water and Windex). The rest of the time, it has a stack of outdoor placemats that get used when we can eat out there.