• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crudo v Carpaccio

gfron1

What's the difference?  I recently had a meal that served a lobster carpaccio and also a tuna crudo.  Both were thin pieces of raw dressed flesh on a plate.  Could the lobster have been called a crudo also?

In Italian, 'crudo' means "raw," and 'carpaccio' means "skin." In cooking, then, a "crudo" is anything uncooked- generally it's cubed or minced (think tartare), but it can really be prepared almost any way. "Carpaccio" then, refers to the thin "skin-thick" slices of basically anything- tuna, octopus, beef, melon, etc. Carpaccio is often raw (as the flavor is more delicate- carpaccio of roast beef would just be lunchmeat...), but linguistically speaking, it's carpaccio if its thin, crudo if it's raw, and it can be both at the same time!

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Hmmm, I've never hear the skin version either. Just the Cipriani version- even on Foodreference.com. Also, AFAIK, pelle is the word for skin. Or buccia if we're not talking out about people or animals.

I love Lobster Carpaccio. It's been a long time since I've seen it on a menu!! A restaurant I used to work at took it off the menu because it was just too expensive to make and charge a decent price. Best "salad" I ever had though. (Salad because it came topped with arugula, corn, hearts of palm and a lemon vinaigrette.)