• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The world's best lobsters?

Fat Guy

How do the spiny lobsters of America compare to the spiny lobsters of Australia?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Its funny you should say the handling of Australian lobsters is so poor. I had a lovely Australian lobster the other day, which was delicious. Though I haven't had lobster more than half a dozen times in my life, all within the last two years.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Its funny you should say the handling of Australian lobsters is so poor. I had a lovely Australian lobster the other day, which was delicious. Though I haven't had lobster more than half a dozen times in my life, all within the last two years.

Im sure the export product is first rate. Up there with our tuna.

I am talking domestic supply when I talk about dissapointing outcomes....

My initial flavor test was the classic, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. Homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise, homegrown tomato (from a neighbor), homemade bacon. The only thing that wasn't locally grown was the lettuce. It was the best sandwich I've ever had!

Naturally, my expectations were high so I had a bottle of wine to meet that expectation: 1976 Lafitte Rothschild. Mmmmmmm.....

Really Nice Aug 10 2003, 11:22 PM

It's still lobster season in Gabarus and Forchou . I am on my way home tonight. My dad has 14 market size lobsters cooked and waiting for our arrival. Came out of the water at 2 o'clock. I can't wait!!!

I still love the lobsters of my home town and surrounding islands in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland,

Now living in NZ i find the crayfish a poor second,

It's still lobster season in Gabarus and Forchou . I am on my way home tonight. My dad has 14 market size lobsters cooked and waiting for our arrival. Came out of the water at 2 o'clock. I can't wait!!!

I've had the slippers in Singapore, and the spiny lobsters many times in various places. To my mind, when it comes to lobster, nothing beats Homarus americanus. And while freshness is nice, they really stay quite good for a long time if well cared for.

One of the reasons this is true is because they are not particularly related. The American lobster (Homarus americanus) comes from the Nephropidae Family whereas spiny lobsters (e.g., Panulirus interruptus - the California spiny lobster, and Panulirus cygnus - the Austrailian spiny lobster) come from the Palinuridae Family and slipper lobsters (e.g., Thenus orientalis - the "Moreton Bay bug," and Ibacus peronii - the "Balmain bug") come from the Scyllaridae Family. The American lobster is no more closely related to slipper lobsters and spiny lobsters than it is to hermit crabs.

There are some closely-related lobsters out there. Homarus gammarus, the European lobster, has big claws and lives on the other side of the Atlantic. It is not fished particularly extensively. Perhaps because any waters over there cold enough to result in quality Homarus lobsters would be too deep?

--

I still love the lobsters of my home town and surrounding islands in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland,

Now living in NZ i find the crayfish a poor second,

Would they be the Painted cray?

1217485298_t[1].jpg

If so you are bound to be disappointed.... You just cant compare a painted to a spiny...

God its hard to post images here.... Is it just me????

Edited by Lukaas (log)
My initial flavor test was the classic, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. Homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise, homegrown tomato (from a neighbor), homemade bacon. The only thing that wasn't locally grown was the lettuce. It was the best sandwich I've ever had!

Naturally, my expectations were high so I had a bottle of wine to meet that expectation: 1976 Lafitte Rothschild. Mmmmmmm.....

gallery_64239_6643_4682.jpg

Painted Cray....

Edited by Lukaas (log)