• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Places to Eat in DC

DanM

I'm in the capital this Saturday and Sunday for The Kennedy Center. Dinner on Saturday is at the Center itself (locked in, no options), so I've only got lunch on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday to explore. Saturday I'm open to anything: Richard? Andres? I'm hoping to spend the afternoon at the Gallery, so convenience would be nice but mandatory. Sunday breakfast I'm entertaining an older couple coming in from Arlington, so if there are any logistical considerations in terms of the Metro that might influence location choices... This one should be low-key, they're not shmancy.

Thanks in advance!

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

For Sunday breakfast, how about meeting them in Arlington at Bayou Bakery, near the Courthouse Metro stop.

By "Gallery" I assume you mean the National Gallery of Art. Unfortunately, Central Michel Richard isn't open for lunch on Saturdays, as is true for most of the good places near there. However, if you don't mind spending a bit (but not an outrageous amount), I suspect the Dim Sum Brunch at Wolfgang Puck's The Source would be excellent. (I've been there only for dinner.) They're right across Pennsylvania Avenue from the museum. Beautiful space, too. The entrance is a bit tricky to find; despite the Penn Ave address, it's actually on 6th St.

I was disappointed with my last two dinners at Cafe Atlantico. The food wasn't bad, just uninspired.

Mitsitam Cafe, in the Museum of the American Indian, is a fascinating place, but it won't be a relaxing lunch.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I haven't had in Atlantico for dinner while er but memories of their brunch fond -- perhaps a lower level of inspiration is acceptable earlier in the day. :wink:

Depending on the weather, I think you could hardly do better than an outdoor table at Cafe du Parceither Saturday or Sunday. It's close to metro but a few pleasant blocks from the gallery. I generally prefer it to Centrale, though it is more traditional.

Jaleo is almost never a bad idea.

And -- not that I'm in Andres' back pocket, or anything -- but I can hardly think of anything in the world I'd rather have for brunch/lunch than chilequiles (aka "breakfast nachos") at Oyamel. Like Jaleo and Atlantico, it is close to metro and museum.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks, all! Jaleo looks like the spot (also they were available).

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

Yes, Jaleo is good. Ms. Alex and I ate an early dinner there this past Dec. 31. We had a plane to catch, so unfortunately we couldn't be there for the unlimited-tapas New Year's Eve party.

BTW, Jaleo is two blocks from Teaism. I recommend picking up a Chocolate Salty Oat Cookie (yes, I know it sounds like something from South Park) and stashing it away for a midnight snack.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'll be meeting friends in DC for a birthday celebration. We were all raised in the area, but mostly live away now. The birthday boy lives in LA now and requests a very hip birthday dinner. Here's his request: " whenever we hit NYC my #1 priority is to always dine at the hottest spots in town for energy/atmosphere/scene. Food needs to be good but scene is my goal when I'm an out of towner. I can rattle off the top NYC spots today; but again have zero clue on DC...so if you guys can help get rez's on the 18th somewhere cool like that I would love it!"

So that's his request. If food was the most important thing, I'd have lots of ideas. But hip? We are all in our 50's - I didn't think that I had to worry about hip anymore :biggrin: . So my dear, food-loving, and - I hope - hipper than me friends, what places would you suggest? I'm guessing that by 18th he means Dupont and Adams Morgan. Thank you so much!!

Mintwood Place in Adams Morgan, perhaps?

Little Serow is as hip as possible, but you'll have to stand on line for an hour or more as they (sadly) don't take ressies.

Isabella's Graffiato draws them in.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Toki Underground is certainly hip and quite delicious, but it's not in Adams (it's on H St NE)

The Brixton would also be hip, and allegedly has good food. You could add any Hilton Bros establishment to that list (Marvin, American Ice, and this new place Blackbyrd come to mind)

Estadio is another possibility, as are Pearl Dive and Agora

If "The 18th" means 18th Street, I'd say forget it, Adams Morgan is just a shitshow and there's not much good in Dupont besides Paradiso and Moby Dick, neither of which really fit the bill from the sound of it

Avoid Adams-Morgan. I'd head towards the 14th St. Corridor, as it seems to have the best hip/food quotient (H Street and Columbia Heights are probably hipper, but the food is not as good). if you want reservations, Estadio and Pearl Dive are probably out, though both offer pretty good eating. Masa 14 might be a good bet, as might Cork -- especially if you're interested in wine as well as hippitude.

I'm on the pavement

Are you sure by "the 18th" he didn't mean the day?

And yes, you do still have to worry about "hip" -- the one you might break if you're not careful.

Mintwood is good (and is one of the current "in" spots), but I don't know if I'd call it hip.

As Busboy mentioned, Masa 14 and Cork are good choices, as is Birch & Barley/Churchkey, especially if your friend is into beer.

Oh, forgot about Birch & Barley/Churchkey

so hip it hurts

But yes, 14th St is my rec, many of the places I mentioned plus those of Busboy are all there

Edited by Hassouni (log)

And, while we're on 14th Street, if you're in the mood for a hip cocktail joint, you might want to try The Gibson, a neo-(pseudo-?) speakeasy where tattoed bartenders whip up excellent, original cocktails. Prime time entrance generally demands a reservation, but getting their early or late often works as well.

Also, being polite and patient to the guy at the door seems to help.

Mitch probably has a more nuanced view of the place, if he cares to weigh in, but I think it's an excellent place to kick off a 14th Street crawl.

I'm on the pavement

Are you sure by "the 18th" he didn't mean the day?

That's what I think he meant.

Mintwood is good (and is one of the current "in" spots), but I don't know if I'd call it hip.

This issue, as I see it, is that nothing is really that hip. That will also work for a bunch of people of, ummm, a certain age.

As Busboy mentioned, Masa 14 and Cork are good choices, as is Birch & Barley/Churchkey, especially if your friend is into beer

Birch & Barley is my favorite restaurant in the district, and the chefs have lots of tattoos. Churchkey is awesome, but also annoying enough just to get a seat.

And, while we're on 14th Street, if you're in the mood for a hip cocktail joint, you might want to try The Gibson, a neo-(pseudo-?) speakeasy where tattoed bartenders whip up excellent, original cocktails. Prime time entrance generally demands a reservation, but getting their early or late often works as well.

Mitch probably has a more nuanced view of the place, if he cares to weigh in, but I think it's an excellent place to kick off a 14th Street crawl.

Evidently, the bar manager from the Gibson is now at the newly reopened and renovated Firefly. I look forward to giving it a try next week.

Firefly regulars can also look forward to a new cocktail program led by former Gibson general manager Jon Harris and a new menu at the bar.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Passenger! Passenger! Passenger!

Sorry, I really dislike Gibson.

Depends on my mood, though four times out of five I'd join you at The Passenger. Alas, though, it's a hike from there to 14th Street, hence my reccomendation.

I'm on the pavement

Per Todd Kliman, in The Washingtonian:

Izakaya Seki, DC

Arguably the most exciting restaurant to debut this year. Hiroshi Seki and his daughter, Cizuka Seki, have fashioned a spare, intimate izakaya from a former barber shop on V St. It's a no-frills setting that suggests a gallery and serves as an ideal backdrop for beautifully simple dishes that all but command you to slow down and focus. Hop a seat at the wraparound counter that consumes the entirety of downstairs to watch Seki, a sushi master with 50 years experience, work with grace, speed, economy and calm as he executes his repertoire with a small team of cooks: thick slices of veal-tender beef tongue with a painting of mustard-miso sauce; succulent filets of grilled mero, the Japanese term for Chilean sea bass; springy soba noodles with flakes of nori and tempura; and some of the most exquisite cuts of aji (horse mackerel) and yellowtail you'll find.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yeah, it just seems expensive for what they're offering...izakaya are meant to be humble affairs...

I think this is just looking for an excuse. We have members here who go to cocktail bars where the drinks are $14, and we hear no such thing.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yeah but usually my total bill at those bars is a lot less than what I could expect to spend at Seki. Their stuff is small plates, right?

I don't know, I may go yet, I was just hoping for a DC version of some of those St Mark's joints in NY, where you can get $1.50 draft Japanese beer and tasty snacks for a pittance.

PS, I don't jive with burgers over about $10 or $12 max :smile: