• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked sushi rice

Darth Sushi

Well, im working on my next sushi menu at Mr. Delicious and I want to play with smoked rice. I have some ideas about how to do it, including ssmoking the rice itself before I steam it, or else smoking the water used to steam the rice. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried it, and what the results were. Any other ideas for methods would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks folks

I've never done smoked sushi rice. I've done smoked wild rice which I realize isn't the same critter but it did work and was tasty. I smoked ice cubes and used the resulting water in combination with chicken stock until I got a flavor balance I was happy with then cooked the rice (along with onion and mushrooms) in it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've never done smoked sushi rice. I've done smoked wild rice which I realize isn't the same critter but it did work and was tasty. I smoked ice cubes and used the resulting water in combination with chicken stock until I got a flavor balance I was happy with then cooked the rice (along with onion and mushrooms) in it.

excellent. also, i have not heard the term critter in a long time, and I live in north dakota. thanks for that

this might be a cheap shortcut, but how about trying a drop of liquid smoke in the water? Or less? It's pretty strong stuff, but AFAIK it's just "smoked water". I'd guess you're going for a very light and subtle smoke flavor, which might be easy to get and adjust with liquid smoke.

Might not be "gourmet" enough for your purpose?

Oliver

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Both of those ideas would probably be fine. I was just kinda playing with a theme when I did it and wanted to use a specific smoke wood.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Or a sprinkle of smoked salt in the water.

Well, you might be able to smoke the salt with the kind of wood you wish to use. I have never smoked salt, so I couldn't give you any guidance in doing it.

Unfortunately, I abhor liquid smoke. Smoked salt is actually not too hard to come by, although to really dial in the flavor we would have to do it ourselves. we are about to be installing a smoker at the shop. right now i'm leaning towards smoking the raw rice first. My next question is this: Is there a nuetral wood that you could use to burn along with tea leaves for the actual flavor?

When I tea smoke things, I don't use wood at all. I use a mixture of tea leaves and rice to create the smoke.

Unfortunately, I abhor liquid smoke.

Is there a reason for that? I was thinking it would be the best way to impart a smoky flavour to your rice with at least a minimal level of consistency (and I am the happy owner of two smokers).

A restaurant that both Mr. Delicious and I worked at in the past totally ruined any respect that i could have had for liquid smoke. it's simply not versatile enough for what i want

I does only one thing, that's for sure... and too much and it tastes like an ashtray (too long in a smoker does the same thing). It is available in many different smoke "flavours" though (i.e. hickory, pecan, maple...).

I bet you could cook your rice in tea as well if you want to add that kind of flavour to your dishes. Lapsang souchon tea would also add plenty of smoke flavour... but I'm not sure this is the direction you are taking.

A restaurant that both Mr. Delicious and I worked at in the past totally ruined any respect that i could have had for liquid smoke. it's simply not versatile enough for what i want

I does only one thing, that's for sure... and too much and it tastes like an ashtray (too long in a smoker does the same thing). It is available in many different smoke "flavours" though (i.e. hickory, pecan, maple...).

I bet you could cook your rice in tea as well if you want to add that kind of flavour to your dishes. Lapsang souchon tea would also add plenty of smoke flavour... but I'm not sure this is the direction you are taking.

i will keep that tea in mind. one of the other processes i have been looking at is steeping tea and using that liquid to soak either apple or cherry chips. i change my sushi menu every month, so i dont see why i couldn't try most of this stuff