• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popsicles

TAPrice

On 9/6/2020 at 6:33 AM, BeeZee said:

Good to know about the bags. I wrapped my pops in saran and put in a tupperware type of container, I loathe wrangling saran wrap.

Did the plastic wrap come off ok after more time in the freezer? 

I got some of these and heat seal them.  I know not everyone has a heat sealer, but the lip and tape bags drive me nuts.

https://www.clearbags.com/3-x-1-1-4-x-8-1-4-high-clarity-flat-bottom-gusset-bags-1-6-mil-100-pieces-fgcc14-on-sale-while-supplies-last.html

@pastrygirl, I had no problem removing saran wrap from the bars. I kind of wrapped them burrito style and on the one end twisted the saran around the stick. This last batch of pudding pops I put in snack size zip top bags, to compare the two. The bags are better for throwing them loose in the freezer without an additional container. 

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Sweet potato & coconut pops dipped in white chocolate and topped with chopped walnuts

63948489_IMG_3046(2).thumb.jpeg.6958e814db27d1e03dfc8a726ae6bab1.jpeg

The sweet potato mix was very thick and I was too lazy to address it so I ended up with those unsightly bubble holes that I was also too lazy to disguise with a more artful application of chocolate 🙃

I got the idea from this sweet potato & coconut popsicle recipe although I based it more on Nikki's Sweet Potatoes from 101 Cookbooks that is a standby for me.   I intended to use the macadamia nuts that top that recipe but they tasted off so I went with the trusty walnuts. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, shain said:

What's the verdict? They sound intriguing.

I thought they were quite good.  I liked the combination of the fresh ginger that was the primary seasoning and the white chocolate topping.  The sweet potato flavor comes through nicely.

Forgot to add a nice pinch of salt to the mix as I've found that really enhances the nuttiness of the toasted coconut. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Wow, it's been a while!  

With this week's >80°F weather, I made a small batch of pear, ginger and cream pops from the People's Pops book.  I added a splash of King's Ginger liqueur.

1453020670_IMG_3722(1).thumb.jpeg.e6f89bca2781515b91650507560cbde9.jpeg

I've been enjoying them and it looks like it should be back down in the 70's by the weekend so this batch should get me through. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

• 2 months later...

Nik Sharma's The Flavor Equation has a recipe for Blueberry & Omani Lime Ice Cream.  I don't have an ice cream maker but I can make popsicles!

IMG_3957.thumb.jpeg.b3b5c0ee491ee7b50544e4b4f5a19cf8.jpeg

His recipe puts cracked Omani limes into kefir or buttermilk to infuse overnight in the fridge so that's what I did.  I found the flavor relatively mild but very pleasant.  I may work at getting more of that black lime funk into the recipe. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I never knew this topic existed.  Great fun!  @blue_dolphin what do you freeze your pops in?  I found this book on Popsicles available free on Amazon and downloaded it, and I thought i would post the link in case others are interested.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FYFXPZC/ref=pe_386430_122413350_TE_DP

Thanks!  I will check out that book.  

I have this mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)which was about $14 when I ordered.  This type works best if you plan to unmold all the pops at one time.  There are others that are easier to push out one pop at a time and leave the rest in the molds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  I will check out that book.  

I have this mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)which was about $14 when I ordered.  This type works best if you plan to unmold all the pops at one time.  There are others that are easier to push out one pop at a time and leave the rest in the molds. 

Thanks!  If you unmold them all at once, and assuming you don't eat them all at one sitting, how do you wrap them for freezer storage?

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks!  If you unmold them all at once, and assuming you don't eat them all at one sitting, how do you wrap them for freezer storage?

Snack-size zip top bags work well.  I also have these popsicle bags (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which look a little more pro.  I described my unmolding process back in this post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I made Jennie's Sorrel, from Simply Julia.  This version of the hibiscus/jamaica/sorrel-infused beverage is from Julia's childhood babysitter, Jennie and has lots of fresh ginger and dried clove and is barely sweetened.  I loved the ginger and tartness but the cloves were overpowering to me.  However, used as a base for these Blackberry & Sorrel pops, I find the clove flavor interesting rather than offensive. 

IMG_4029.thumb.jpeg.0725335ea6e2e7d72b6cf14e2dda4f9d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, I made Jennie's Sorrel, from Simply Julia.  This version of the hibiscus/jamaica/sorrel-infused beverage is from Julia's childhood babysitter, Jennie and has lots of fresh ginger and dried clove and is barely sweetened.  I loved the ginger and tartness but the cloves were overpowering to me.  However, used as a base for these Blackberry & Sorrel pops, I find the clove flavor interesting rather than offensive. 

IMG_4029.thumb.jpeg.0725335ea6e2e7d72b6cf14e2dda4f9d.jpeg

Gorgeous. I like StarBucks Passion Tea which is hibiscus based. When I bought the bags long ago I think it did mention a warm spice like clove or cinnamon. When I brew it myself from dried hibiscus flowers that is what I use. Sometimes just a touch of orange peel while simmering.

• Like 2

I made some roasted pineapple sauce for another purpose and turned the rest into popsicles with toasted coconut

IMG_4034.thumb.jpeg.78c71c0481334df6f52b3173e3408de9.jpeg

I prefer fresh pineapple instead of roasted for popsicles but these will serve the purpose of a cooling snack. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, almost August and I've hardly made any pops - best get my act together!  

Using some of the watermelon preserves I made from Vivian Howard's This Will Make It Taste Good, I modeled these after the cocktail of the same name in the book - Watermelon Mint Gimlet pops:

IMG_4161.thumb.jpeg.a60d0fb230c0b1915e9266cdfa6742c7.jpeg

I did label the sticks in my tiny handwriting but somehow stuck the decorative mint leaf on the wrong side.  

And Roasted Peach & Bourbon pops- a classic!

IMG_4162.thumb.jpeg.ff062d6ec6145931eec70f39fed70400.jpeg

These were all gifted (tipped?) to the folks working at a pop-up BBQ place when I picked up my order this afternoon.  They all wanted to buy more pops and told me I need to start selling them!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow, almost August and I've hardly made any pops - best get my act together!  

Using some of the watermelon preserves I made from Vivian Howard's This Will Make It Taste Good, I modeled these after the cocktail of the same name in the book - Watermelon Mint Gimlet pops:

IMG_4161.thumb.jpeg.a60d0fb230c0b1915e9266cdfa6742c7.jpeg

I did label the sticks in my tiny handwriting but somehow stuck the decorative mint leaf on the wrong side.  

And Roasted Peach & Bourbon pops- a classic!

IMG_4162.thumb.jpeg.ff062d6ec6145931eec70f39fed70400.jpeg

These were all gifted (tipped?) to the folks working at a pop-up BBQ place when I picked up my order this afternoon.  They all wanted to buy more pops and told me I need to start selling them!

I agree!!!!!  Sell them!

I'm drooling.  It's like two thousand degrees here.  All I want is wine and a Popsicle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

All I want is wine and a Popsicle.

How about a wine popsicle?

On a less serious note @blue_dolphin - have you made any popsicles using any THC and/or CBD in the mix?  

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

How about a wine popsicle?

On a less serious note @blue_dolphin - have you made any popsicles using any THC and/or CBD in the mix?  

I have not.  Sounds like they would be very chilI.  May have to investigate.  I'm guessing you'd want a mix with some fat to keep the oil dispersed. 

For @Shelby, I have made frosé pops and sangria pops.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have not.  Sounds like they would be very chilI.  May have to investigate.  I'm guessing you'd want a mix with some fat to keep the oil dispersed. 

Good questions.  The dispensaries do sell various tinctures and liquids, so something along those lines may work. As well as, as you mention, maybe something creamy.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 8/1/2021 at 10:47 AM, weinoo said:

Good questions.  The dispensaries do sell various tinctures and liquids, so something along those lines may work. As well as, as you mention, maybe something creamy.

Maybe coconut cream or avocado?

• Like 1

For the eG 20th anniversary party, I made a batch of Flaming Orange Gully pops

IMG_4185.thumb.jpeg.b2e7a33f65e4e1d41a5e95cfd2fe9f3c.jpeg

The Flaming Orange Gully cocktail was created by Dale DeGroff after being challenged by@Varmint during an eG Q&A session back in 2002.  You can find the recipe here and read some discussion about it over here

The cocktail recipe uses orange vodka as the base spirit.  There's no reason to put vodka in pops as it just makes them melty and doesn't add any flavor beyond a bit of citrus in this case so I omitted it but used the recipe proportions of orange juice, lime juice, Velvet Falernum and Angostora bitters and grated the nutmeg garnish over the pops after unmolding them. 

Here's the flaming part 🙃

IMG_3217.thumb.jpeg.f356d03419058cddd182fe8e14ddabca.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add the flames (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

• 4 weeks later...

Frozen yogurt/berry pops, recipe from Serious Eats. I used frozen mixed berries that I defrosted, I was lazy and did not deseed the puree, which is a mistake I won’t repeat. Or I will use frozen cherries and avoid the seeds.

E0F5D473-41AD-447D-9899-6F90C886CE41.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up BBQ from ZEF today so had to get ready to "tip" them properly 🙃

Strawberry & Grand Marnier:

IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.799e59ca70ef8a95d8ce0b5db3024244.jpeg

I used to like to inject strawberries with Grand Mariner and dip them in chocolate.  The liqueur filled up the little space inside so there was a nice little surprise when you bit into them.  Not sure how this will translate without the chocolate. 

Peach & Dark Rum:

IMG_4349.thumb.jpeg.055dc2054848967ff272a3ffaf8c606c.jpeg

I usually roast the peaches and the skins disintegrate when I blend them up.  I skipped the roast step so there are little red flecks of skin visible.  They look pretty and hopefully won't taste bad. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Coconut, Vanilla Bean & Rum 

IMG_4394.thumb.jpeg.e770363c485f6ca98a2d68dee5961390.jpeg

Based on a simple recipe in Pure Vanilla.  Just coconut milk infused with vanilla beans and a little sugar.  I added the rum, Koloa Kaua'i from Hawaii, because it's what I do 🙃

Not my favorite coconut pop but it's a delicious vanilla pop.  Love the little flecks of vanilla caviar. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 8