• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popsicles

TAPrice

Made my first post teenage popsicles. Coconut water. Daughter and her BF from Granada loved them. DH said they were one degree more fascinating than water.

P6090002_01.JPG

My question is: how do you store popsicles??? I simply stuck them in an open plastic container back in the freezer. This is not satisfactory. What do others do?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If I have molds, I always store them in the mold until I want one, then I just pop it out. If I'm making ridiculous quantities, I wrap them in little plastic baggies and stack them in the freezer.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

If I have molds, I always store them in the mold until I want one, then I just pop it out. If I'm making ridiculous quantities, I wrap them in little plastic baggies and stack them in the freezer.

Currently I have one mold which makes 8. In August we host a Dog Weekend and Saturday of the weekend (which turns out to be 4 days) we can have up to 25 people and 25 dogs. So I need a ridiculous quantity of popsicles should I go this route this year. I have a lot of plastic confectionery bags which are way to big for lollies and such and should be fine for popsicles. Our daughter says they buy them in Toronto in hand-formed waxed paper packets. I imagine the ones they buy are flat and not cone shaped... Might look for some new molds.

Margarita pops on my mind...

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, maybe consider 3-5 oz plastic cups as molds - they work fabulously as long as you've got popsicle sticks. They're also easy to transport, easy to stack in the freezer, the list goes on. You can actually keep them in the cups right up until you're ready to distribute the pops - easy hygienic wrappers!

• Like 1

Darienne, maybe consider 3-5 oz plastic cups as molds - they work fabulously as long as you've got popsicle sticks. They're also easy to transport, easy to stack in the freezer, the list goes on. You can actually keep them in the cups right up until you're ready to distribute the pops - easy hygienic wrappers!

That IS the answer!

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne! YOu do amazing things! A dog party! I wish I could come! My pom/vodka popsicles came out great! I need to get more molds.

I need a running start on this popsicle thingy. Do give me your proportions of this and that please.

And I wish you and your pup could come too. And I hope you are both faring well. Our daughter was here over the weekend and fed part of her coconut water pop to our female who loved it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well I used reduced a syrup that I had made from last fall's poms, reduction of water and all. I rconstituted with some water till it tasted less syrup-y but not like juice. To this I added vodka. It tasted quite concentrated and vodka-ish so I added a bit more water. I did not measure! They came out a bit tart-which I like and left a bit of a dry mouth-what is that word??? AH yes, astringent. Also due to the vodka, they were a bit between sherbert texture and posp ice texture. I am so sorry that I did it all so fast that I did not take measurements. I was preparing a "scandinavian" extended family dinner (far from the far east) for the home welcoming of my son, from over half a year in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, India, Laus, and -I cannot remember where else. After the meal I felt a cake did not suit for dessert as it was a bit heavy-quiches, salads with cheeses in and lox etc plus summer heat and this forum led me to these pom/vodka ices for dessert. I felt it was perfect so I rushed to make them in order to get them to freeze! I loved them-the "kids" less. Well I guess it was that astringency thing. Wll mail you about the dog...

. After the meal I felt a cake did not suit for dessert as it was a bit heavy-quiches, salads with cheeses in and lox etc plus summer heat and this forum led me to these pom/vodka ices for dessert. I felt it was perfect so I rushed to make them in order to get them to freeze! I loved them-the "kids" less. Well I guess it was that astringency thing. Wll mail you about the dog...

Thanks, Lior. I'm interested in your serving dishes/containers/etc

Darienne,

what flavor of popsicle are you doing for the dogs?

What do you suggest? Ground baked liver would do it. Too many dogs actually to do it at all. Might start a to-do.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Perhaps a frozen hotdog? Which serving dishes/containers are you interested in? The pop ice ones? I can take a phot no problem. Or someting else??

"I was preparing a "scandinavian" extended family dinner (far from the far east) for the home welcoming of my son, from over half a year in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, India, Laus, and -I cannot remember where else. After the meal I felt a cake did not suit for dessert as it was a bit heavy-quiches, salads with cheeses in and lox etc plus summer heat and this forum led me to these pom/vodka ices for dessert."

These dessert ones. They were/were not in popsicle format? Served in dishes? Thanks.

I'm thinking ahead for the dog crowd (not the dogs :raz: For them we bought a wading pool today )I'm still going to look for 3-5 oz plastic cups mentioned by PanaCan for my dog crowd...or maybe foam ones which I could slit on the diagonal perhaps for easier unwrapping...or something...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Home from Asia"...I guess the perfect popsicle would be something based on Kalpis or a similar sweetened fermented milk drink concentrate.

I bought a pack on my way home tonight, intending to make something for teenage son to snack on when he gets home from school. A plum sorbet (maybe with red wine and perhaps spiced), plain kalpis, and kalpis/banana/honey is the plan.

Silicone ice pop sticks - these are what I plan to use.

Darienne - foam doesn't work so well with frozen things; they tend to stick to it. However, and as crass as this sounds, those disposable beer cups are excellent - just don't fill them all the way up. In a pinch, waxed paper Dixie cups are also fairly good.

Darienne - foam doesn't work so well with frozen things; they tend to stick to it. However, and as crass as this sounds, those disposable beer cups are excellent - just don't fill them all the way up. In a pinch, waxed paper Dixie cups are also fairly good.

Thanks for the information about the foam.

Are there disposable beer cups which are small enough I wonder. I'll check it out. I like the Dixie cup idea. Check it out too. No idea of where to buy them. Oh...a party place perhaps.

Thanks again, PanaCan

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Totally cool for a teenag son after school!! Wow! Darienne, I used posicle containers-old tupperware ones and other cheapie ones I have collected over the years from the superm. BTW, I have a recipe from Sherry Yard's book for real dog biscuits- do you have this? WHen my dog is feeling better I plan on making her a batch!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried everywhere to get small paper or plastic cups with no luck. I know someone carries them!

Bought three sets of these at the Dollarama for $1 each. Investment of $3 (plus tax) for 24 popsicle units. They each hold just a tad over 1/4 cup. Now down to business.

P6200002.JPG

Just received Fany Gerson's Paletas. Haven't had time to even look at it yet. I'm still aiming for Margarita popsicles for the dog crowd in August.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

First popsicles from Paletas : Paletas de coco rapidas (Quick Coconut Ice Pops). Delicious. They are a bit soft I think. I'll see if this freezer (new to us) can be made colder. Also it's very, very hot and very, very humid.

My mold produces very small pops. I might consider getting some larger ones. The little ones are good for boozy ones I think (yet to be made).

P6240001.JPG

( I am no photographer and I don't have a macro lens [i think})

Think I'll try the Lior's "Pom/Vodka" ones next. Two of my favorite health beverages. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh orange juice, lemon juice, rind and sugar. Oh yeah, plus Campari...

IMG_2264.jpg

This popsicle maker is annoying because it's so hard to get the last/bottom part of the popsicle. Must buy plain old wooden sticks.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I got my copy of the Paletas book too...I was happy to find more good things than the one or two items that led me to buy it. On the other hand, there were more dairy-based recipes than I had anticipated.

Looking forward to trying that coconut recipe too.

I made the roasted banana recipe (with milk but without cream) - Japanese "black" sugar goes well with this.

A little banana added to other fruits helps them to freeze softer - an advantage with the cone-shaped Ice Stick molds I'm using, as you otherwise get a largeish icy chunk as your first bite.

The molds hold only 50 ml (2 oz), exactly what I wanted. I've read reviews where people say they get an "off" taste - I'm careful to scrub to the very bottom of the mold with a tiny bottle brush, and hang them over chopsticks to dry...they've been fine. I only had one leak - overfilled the mold.

• Like 1

I've been freezing pure grape juice in ice lolly moulds recently. Thing is, sometimes parts of them come out a bit icey and flakey. There are two possible reasons I can think of for this:

*My power goes off a lot, usually for between 10 minutes - 2 hours. My lights and fans are on the backup battery but my fridge is not. This means that it does get a bit warmer sometimes! It still keeps the fridge part rather cool, but I imagine the freezer gets to more of a fridge than a freezer temperature. Don't worry food health and safety people - I don't keep milk in the fridge (I buy fresh everday) so generally all that is in there are veggies (only a few at a time, again I buy fresh everyday), water/other drinks and ice lollies!

*I'm using pure juice which I guess is kinda watery. Should I be using puree?

What do you guys think? Is the occasional partial defrosting making them flakey or is it the juice thing?