• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

48 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious if anyone has a suggestion to a website which gives basic overview of popsicle making techniques which I can then innovate from?

I'm not aware of any great overview websites so I'll be interested to hear the suggestions of others.  

I very highly recommend the book, People's Pops, which has a nice fundamentals section up front and a lot of flavor combination suggestions throughout.  They operate out of NYC and use mostly locally grown fresh fruit - and the occasional vegetable. The way the recipes are written (ingredients given in #, weight and volume) and the use of a basic simple syrup throughout (I make a big batch) means it's easy to scale down the recipes if you just want 4-5 to try out a recipe.  There's even a page on starting an ice pop business.  

Fany Gerson 's book Paletas is also very good and with its Mexican focus, includes more tropical flavors.  There's less background information and about half of the recipes are actually for shaved ices and agues frescas.

Edited to add:  I described how I unmold the pops in this post, above. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

28 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious if anyone has a suggestion to a website which gives basic overview of popsicle making techniques which I can then innovate from?

I'm not aware of any great overview websites so I'll be interested to hear the suggestions of others.  

I very highly recommend the book, People's Pops, which has a nice fundamentals section up front and a lot of flavor combination suggestions throughout.  They operate out of NYC and use mostly locally grown fresh fruit - and the occasional vegetable. There's even a page on starting an ice pop business.  

Fany Gerson 's book Paletas is also very good and with its Mexican focus, includes more tropical flavors.  There's less background information and about half of the recipes are actually for shaved ices and agues frescas.

Edited to add:  I described how I unmold the pops in this post, above. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I very highly recommend the book, People's Pops, which has a nice fundamentals section up front and a lot of flavor combination suggestions throughout.  They operate out of NYC and use mostly locally grown fresh fruit - and the occasional vegetable. There's even a page on starting an ice pop business.