• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a strawberry liqueur?

theisenm85

I'm gonna try and play around a little bit today with some Sumatra coffee - other than cedar woodsiness, the flavor most reminds me of strawberries. Is anyone aware of a strawberry liqueur I could use to make a drink with this coffee? Or maybe other ideas?

Mathilde makes one, but not sure if it was just a one-off for the European market -- I got a 375 mL bottle as a gift last summer, but I don't see it listed in the product lineup on Mathilde's website.

Christopher

Oh I think I've seen that but I'm not sure if I have lately...I usually kind of skim over that line. I think it was just called 'Fraise' right?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Most of the major European liqueur producers (eg Brizzard, Bols, Giffard etc.) produce strawberry liqueurs to varying levels of quality. They are usually 'Creme de Fraise' or 'Creme a la Fraise des bois' (wild strawberry), the cheaper ones often just 'Fraise'. They are readily available over here, I'm not sure what their distribution is like in the US.

If you happen to find it, I personally think Gabriel Boudier's Creme a la Fraise des Bois is the best. On a slightly different topic, their Creme de Cassis is streets ahead of any other I've tried (Boudier's website). Edmund Briottet would be the other brand I'd recommend, most of their products are very good (Briottet's website)

Cheers,

Matt

There is its called fresh strawverrys. Anything you can get fresh there is no need for a liquior.

you hope the quality of the strawberries in the liqueur is better than common fresh organic strawberries.

not all fruit is created equal. the local new england strawberries seem 10x flavored relative to a driscoll's and i've never seen the local stuff in whole foods.

its cool when a liqueur or eau-de-vie actually captures a sense of place but not many do.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com