• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole-egg cocktails

mkayahara

I recently acquired several size-small eggs for cocktail applications, but I've got more eggs than whole-egg cocktails in my repertoire. I've been dying to try the Coffee Cocktail for a while now, so that'll be first up. After that, though, the only things that really come to mind are flips, egg nogs and, of course, Tom and Jerry (and it really isn't the right time of year for that). Recipes with egg whites are easy to find, but whole eggs (or even egg yolks) seem a little rarer.

Any suggestions for how I can put these eggs to best use? Thanks!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

It is rather the wrong time of the year for whole egg drinks as they are so rich. I was trying to make a light refreshing drink that has an egg yolk in it and I came up with this.

Golden Age

2.0 oz Brugal Anejo

.50 oz Cherry Heering

.75 oz Lemon Juice

.50 oz Simple Syrup

1 Egg Yolk

11 drops Regan's Orange Bitters

Glass: Collins

Garnish: Radius Cut Lemon Wheel/Luxardo Cherry

Ice: Crushed

Stir briefly to incorporate yolk into liquid (Mime Stir). Add Ice. Shake. Strain. Top with more crushed ice.

Whole egg drinks are in my mind usually paired with cream, like in a flip, so the cocktails are rich. I wonder what a basic Sour would taste like with a whole egg. It wouldn't get the great head you get from egg white, but that would be off set by the fat in the yolk. Will be doing some experimenting in a couple of hours.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I wonder what a basic Sour would taste like with a whole egg.  It wouldn't get the great head you get from egg white, but that would be off set by the fat in the yolk.  Will be doing some experimenting in a couple of hours.

A friend who just returned from Bangkok said he'd ordered a gin sour at the bar of one of the nicer hotels and that they'd used whole egg instead of only the white. He said it was delicious.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Thanks for those replies. I tried all winter to get small eggs from my guy at the farmers' market, but he kept telling me he wouldn't have any until spring. Having had a couple of egg drinks, I can see why they'd be better suited to winter, so I guess that leaves me using large eggs.

Toby, I'd love to try the Golden Age, but I'm not sure I can get the Brugal Anejo here. Could you suggest a substitute?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Thanks for those replies. I tried all winter to get small eggs from my guy at the farmers' market, but he kept telling me he wouldn't have any until spring. Having had a couple of egg drinks, I can see why they'd be better suited to winter, so I guess that leaves me using large eggs.

Toby, I'd love to try the Golden Age, but I'm not sure I can get the Brugal Anejo here. Could you suggest a substitute?

a gold Cuban-style rum would get you close (FdC, Bacardi, Matuselem)

a gold Cuban-style rum would get you close (FdC, Bacardi, Matuselem)

Well, since Matt is in Canada, he doesn't have to settle for simply "cuban-style"! How about Havana Club 7?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Well, since Matt is in Canada, he doesn't have to settle for simply "cuban-style"!  How about Havana Club 7?

Well color me unobservant. That's a no-brainer if ever there's been one.

I cannot believe that I am about to suggest to not put HC7 in ones mouth. Heresy of heresies. Have some HC7 neat while you make the Golden Age. Use Mathusalem, the drink will be better for it.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Benjamin at Drink made me quite an interesting whole egg drink the other night: a Cynar Flip -- Cynar, an egg, and that's it.

Sounds good. Now, where did I put my white truffle bitters?

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

The Black Flip from PDT's menu maybe a year and a half ago would probably drink okay in the summer as well, since it had a definite milkshake/egg cream thing going on. I remember the main ingredients, but unfortunately not the proportions - it had a whole egg, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and rum (not sure what kind), possibly also some soda. Hopefully johnder or donbert will fill in the gaps and correct what I've misremembered, because it really was a fantastic drink and I'd love to have a proper recipe for it.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I'm thinking about the things mentioned upthread about substituting Brugal Anejo for a Cuban(esque) rum. It's really not going to work, Brugal is as dry as a hay stack. The rums mentioned are a LOT sweeter.

Personally I feel that the drink will be a lot better for using Bacardi Oro in it (as a cheap option), I've not tried it so I'll probably be wrong...

Obviously those 2 paragraphs contradict themselves...

I feel that the drink is crying out for a sweeter rum. But if it works best with Brugal then I guess I'm wrong. But you can't substitute something dry for something sweet and expect it to be the same drink.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Havana Club 7, I've always felt it promises a lot at the front but then never delivers. Their 15 is fantastic, except that it costs £120 a bottle and there are a lot of better spirits that I can get for that price!!!

Cheers,

Matt

ps you should really try the Brugal EV instead of the Anejo

• 2 weeks later...
Benjamin at Drink made me quite an interesting whole egg drink the other night: a Cynar Flip -- Cynar, an egg, and that's it.

Ben had a Little Branch bartender make this drink for a few of us recently. I've since made it several times. This drink is ground-breaking in my mind. Rich, sweet, bitter. Awesome!

I hear he also does a Fernet Flip, albeit with the addition of demerara. Mmm.

Here's the press release from the recent Diageo World Class UK Final which fits in perfectly with this thread.

Marco Pierre White crowns Edinburgh's Ryan Chetiyawardana as the 'UK's Best Bartender' at the final of World Class

Marco Pierre White last night crowned Ryan Chetiyawardana of Bramble in Edinburgh the UK's best bartender in the final of World Class 2009, the Oscar's of the bartending world. Held at the exclusive Kent House in London's Knightsbridge, Ryan dazzled the judges by showcasing his exceptional mixology skills as he triumphed over competition from fourteen of the country's top bartenders.

In a day-long trial, Ryan and his fellow finalists were tested to the limits in a competition which saw them take part in rounds covering bartending knowledge, mixology and an innovation challenge where they had to prove their creativity against the clock. After 15 bartenders were whittled down to the final two, Ryan went head-to-head with Andreas Tsanos from Zuma in London to battle it out for the grand prize where the two bartenders had to create their final bespoke cocktail and present it to the panel of judges. After a highly competitive and tense round, Ryan was declared the winner with his impressive and delicious Three Storm Flip cocktail (recipe below).

That round saw lead judge, chef Marco Pierre White, say of Ryan’s cocktail: “That’s the best drink I’ve ever had.”

Alongside Marco Pierre White, the infamous Michelin-starred chef, the competition was judged by some of the country's foremost experts in taste, style and bartending, namely Andy Pearson, TV Mixologist; Bill Prince, Deputy Editor of GQ; Ian Cameron, Managing Editor of Theme (one of the bar industry's leading magazines) and Barrie Wilson, Reserve's Head of Brand Ambassadors.

Marco says "I've been totally blown away by the skill of the bartenders in this final. Their creations have truly shown that a great barperson needs to be as creative and skilful as a leading chef. Ryan was phenomenal, not only with his drinks but also with his knowledge and personality behind the bar and fully deserved the title."

Ryan will now go on to compete in the prestigious World Class Global Final, taking place later this month, which will see him representing the UK against the finest bartenders from around the world including Australia, China, Singapore, Brazil and Greece. The global winner will go on to have their definitive book of cocktails published courtesy of Diageo and be the face of a global campaign to raise the profile of the industry, themselves and their bar.

"It's unbelievable" says Ryan, "this was far and away the most challenging and nerve-wracking competition that I've ever been in and I'm absolutely thrilled to have won. I was up against the best bartenders in the country, lots of whom I know and admire personally and performing in front of judges of this calibre has been the highlight of my career so far. I'm hugely excited about the global final and I'm planning to show that cocktail-making in the UK can rival, if not better, anywhere else in the world, it's an amazing opportunity."

Diageo Reserve Brands launched its 'World Class' bartender programme to recognise the incredible skill sets of bartenders across Britain. The UK final of World Class was the culmination of a year long series of regional category finals; rum, tequila, gin and vodka, from which fifteen winners were chosen to compete in the UK final.

To find out more about Ryan Chetiyawardana, the UK final, the World Class competition and details on how to enter next year's competition log onto http://www.weareworldclass.com

Ryan's winning recipe:

Three Storm Flip

50ml Pampero Anniversario

25ml Velvet Falernum Liqueur

2 dashes Regan?s Orange Bitters

5ml Lagavulyn 16

1 whole egg

A pinch of salt and pepper

Nutmeg Garnish

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a Pisco Fizz variation the other night with a whole egg, and topped up with sparkling wine. The richness of the yolk worked well with the acidity and dryness of the sparkling.

I tried a similar thing with a Ramos gin fizz (whole egg, champagne in place of seltzer water) but it wasn't as successful.

Over the weekend, I tried the Cynar flip that David mentioned upthread. I was impressed by how complex it turned out to be given the simplicity of the ingredients. The coffee notes were really stunning.