• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp in Lobster Sauce

Back in the 60's when I was a teenager... I went to China Sky in Springfield and Union China House on Morris Ave in Union.

They both had the BEST Lobster Sauce... with little bits of ground pork and peas in it. I have been unable to match that lobster sauce since then. I'm Looking for suggestions... please help. Ron Silver *The Ambassador of Good Eating*

My family and I were just discussing the lack of really good Chinese-American cuisine here in PA, and how, years ago, we used to drive to NJ to pick up take-out at the now gone Peke-Inn in Phillipsburg.

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce is one of my family's favorites. I would be most interested in a great recipe for this also. I've tried a few of the recipes available on the 'Net, none seem to meet par for flavor.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

When I was young, we went to Ping Toy in Irvington, now defunct, I believe. I liked subgum chicken chow mein. I think that Japanese food is eclipsing Chinese food in popularity. We do go to the Shanghai-style restaurant in Faifield, is it Hunan Garden ? Cannot help you on lobster sauce, but I imagine it is common at the Cantonese style restaurants which are the traditional restaurants.

Back in the 60's when I was a teenager... I went to China Sky in Springfield and Union China House on Morris Ave in Union.

They both had the BEST Lobster Sauce... with little bits of ground pork and peas in it.  I have been unable to match that lobster sauce since then. I'm Looking for suggestions... please help.  Ron Silver  *The Ambassador of Good Eating*

Try calling Golden Palace on Kenilworth Blvd in Kenilworth - if it's on their menu, it may be worth a visit as the food there is generally well above average

908 276 8884