• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you top a Chocolate Babka?

annecros

So, my son is living with the youngest daughter of a Jewish couple from New York. Relocated here about 10 years ago.

I like this girl - she has been so good to my son, and they are in love.

So anyway, for Easter of all things, I drug out Martha Stewart's recipe for Chocolate Babka, because I had never had it - and that Seinfeld episode was really great, and said girlfriend was coming over. So I produce it in front of her eyes, from scratch, and it was marvelous, and I was so darn lucky. I don't know why my Grandmother never told me about Babka.

Her family somehow heard in advance that I was making, from scratch, a chocolate babka - asked for a sample. They really loved it, or are exceedingly polite. I mean, had dinner with them since loved it.

So, now I am invited to the older daughter's welcome home party for her month old baby, in their home.

I have the basket picked out for mother and babe - but what sort of hostess gift should I provide to the parent's of my son's girlfriend - that will outdo MS's Chocolate Babka? Something homemade?

Cheesecake? The Cheesecake of all Cheesecakes?

Honestly, just bake what you bake best. I am sure they will appreciate anything you bring.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Noodle kugel. Cinnamon, raisin, apple chunks (dipped in lemon water to prevent browning), and cream cheese cut into small cubes. It's the Bomb.

There was a bagelry nearby that made a schmear with this combination, and for a while, I lived for Saturdays, which was the only day they made this combo.

I took the combination and added it to noodle kugel. Oh, my gosh! The apples stayed just-right, not too crispy, but not apple pie soft, either. I can't make enough of it for my family.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Incredibly generous and caring of you. After doing one babka, I think I would love to try some cake or dessert that was or is a part of your traditions. Then you can make it a tradition to do one time "their" thing and one time "your thing". Anticipation will build and make it lots of fun. And homemade yummies are always well received! :rolleyes:

I really like Lior's idea of switching the traditions back and forth.

Maybe someday you can try this dessert: Alice Medrich's Chocolate Banana Blintzes. They are very showy, and delicious too, and they are straightforward to make as long as you are comfortable with crepes. The various components can be prepared and cooked ahead. The blintzes are browned briefly before serving.

This blog has the recipe. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/02...a-blintzes.html