• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road trip from SF to Paso Robles

coolhandluke

I'll be taking a short three day road trip from San Fran to Paso and back in a couple of weeks. We plan on taking route 1 down the coast, staying in Paso for a couple of days, and then heading back to SF for a night or two. Any places I need to see? Anything great to see around Paso while we are there? All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

Please clarify. When you say Paso, are you referring to Paso Robles?

Word of caution: Avoid saying "San Fran" or "Frisco." Instead, use San Francisco or SF. Now, back to your request ...

Two restaurants along the way worth trying: Manresa in Los Gatos and L'Auberge Carmel in Carmel.

If you're into wineries, there are some in the Paso Robles area. Others know more about that than me.

The farmer's market in San Luis Obispo on Thursday night is worth the drive from Paso Robles. Unfortunately, it's been a long time since I last gone there.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

The Thursday market is as good as ever, musical entertainment on the street, plenty of good BBQ, fresh local produce and Poly Dollies. Worth the drive over the grade. Others have mentioned, and I agree with, Artisan, Villa Creek, Bistro Laurent and Buono Tavola as eateries in Paso (I can say that because I live here). Chico's in the town square serves up some nice fresh fish, too.

More than a few good wineries that I like but I'll let others jump in and suggest.

ps. For SF you can use "the city" as well.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Strongly second Manresa. To me, it's the best restaurant in the US.

Can somebody explain to the non-Californians among us what is offensive about San Fran, Frisco, and the like? I don't even like calling it SF myself, so I suppose I'm safe from ridicule. Then again, I know it's a context thing, but I have a hard time thinking of anywhere but New York when I hear "the city". :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions all. Yes I'll be coming in from SF, in Monterey for a couple of days, then down to Paso Robles via rte 1. Any cools stops along the road for some casual and fun local food? Or any side diversions off the beaten path that I really shouldn't miss? I'll also be coming up rte 101 on the way back, with a stop in Greenfield for my favorite Huevos Rancheros on the planet.

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

Nepenthe in Big Sur has a nice patio that overlooks the coastline. Stunning view on select days. Taco Temple in Morro Bay is a nice stop as well, unassuming building, very good food.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Can somebody explain to the non-Californians among us what is offensive about San Fran, Frisco, and the like?  I don't even like calling it SF myself, so I suppose I'm safe from ridicule.  Then again, I know it's a context thing, but I have a hard time thinking of anywhere but New York when I hear "the city".  :cool:

It simply designates the speaker as an outsider and one not in the know. I remember before I moved here I called is Frisco and can't explain why it grates on the nerves now to hear it thus referred.

BTW, if you are driving via Cambria, I'd recommend the Black Cat Bistro.

Fandango in Pacific Grove was excellent the last time I was there. In Big Sur I recommend Big Sur Bakery and Cafe. It is right on the highway and very unassuming but they do good work. Post Ranch, also in Big Sur is too pricey for me, but I hear the food is good and it is a great place to have a drink and gaze off the edge of the continent. Nepenthe has arguably the best view of the Western edge, but the food is burger 'n fries diner stuff at Big Sur prices. I do like their ambrosia burger though and the fries are very good and the view is incomperable. Hoppe's in Cayucos is good. I'll second Black Cat in Cambria and Taco Temple in Morro Bay. Dorn's in Morro Bay is also good--I especially like it for breakfast or lunch when you can enjoy the view of the bay. Here in San Luis Obispo I like Novo on Higuera Street in he heart of downtown SLO. When the weather is good, and it almost always is, the place to be for lunch is on their deck overlooking the creek. Driving hwy 1 is a treat for many reasons, but one that has grown on me over the years is that everyone you encounter is there for the same reason you are. They're having fun--nobody is going to work, they are enjoying themselves and their companions. Have a good time.