• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite flours for making bread?

ohmyganache

For a long time I was using King Arthur bread flour, and I liked it and could buy it locally, but once I got over the concept of paying to ship flour, I tried the KA Artisan Flour, and I found I could get more loft from it. Interestingly, the Artisan flour has less protein than the regular bread flour. Looking at their various flours, I suspect it is just a mixture of their regular unbleached all-purpose flour and a small amount of their White Whole Wheat, which would be a lot less expensive to mix oneself than purchasing the Artisan Flour. The White Whole Wheat is a bit softer than their regular whole wheat. Next time I order from KA, I'll get the WWW and see if I can replicate the results with a mix of around 1 part WWW to about 4 or 5 parts AP. Here's a photo of a typical loaf--

gallery_64820_6661_292569.jpg

The AP and WWW both come in organic versions, so that might be of interest to you.

I've been trying to get an earthier sourdough, and I've found even a very small amount of dark rye flour completely changes the profile of the bread. The proportion that has been working for me is 1/4 C Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye, 1/2 C KA regular Whole Wheat, 1/2 C KA Unbleached All Purpose, and about 2/3 C starter for the poolish, and then 3 C KA Unbleached All Purpose for the main dough. I'm also using 1/8 tsp. of ascorbic acid powder and getting good loft and a chewy texture and tangy flavor with a hint of rye. I haven't photographed this one yet, but next time I make it I'll post a photo.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I have been doing some baking with Giusto's Peak Performer, which is organic. It's been working pretty well. I don't like it as much as King Arthur, but if it's organic you want, I would recommend it...

I go through so much bread flour at home that I buy 50lbs bags of KAF Artisan Select from a local wholesaler. I also try to use around 50% whole grain flours in my bread, mainly whole wheat. White whole wheat is excellent for challah and other sweet or delicate breads do to its lighter texture and flavour. Occasionally I will sub 10-20% of the flour in rustic breads with whole spelt flour, usually Arrowhead Mills. Finally, I use Hogson Mills Stone Ground Rye because it is readily available and inexpensive.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.