• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails That End Up in the Sink

Maybe it's a topic for another thread, but what are the ingredients that are challenging to mix with citrus? Czequershuus already mentioned Frangelico (not a terribly versatile cocktail ingredient to begin with). I used to think that sweet vermouth could not work with citrus, but then the Bitter Giuseppe is a good counter-example.

Another great sweet vermouth citrus concoction is the Wig in a Box. Named after a great song, too.

As for other tough to mix with ingredients, I am always frustrated trying to mix with Jagermeister. Based on the really nice herbal flavors I always think it should be useable in more applications, but it is just too damn sweet. Instead of appealing to the frat community with their new Jagermeister Spice, maybe they could shoot for the craft cocktail community and produce Jagermeister Dry.

I've found just the opposite -- that sour balances the sugar in amari and often makes for a wonderful drink. Gin/Campari/Lime, Gin/Cynar/Lemon. Lemon/Meletti flip.

Hmm... certainly there's a lot of sugar in most amari, but I find bitter-sweet to be less of an acquired taste than bitter-sour. I mean sure, when it works, it works, but I'm not very good at conceptualizing this type of drink.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara