• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Bay seasoning

JAZ

I just used it this morning on a dish that combines a bunch of our suggestions, on hash made from leftover Father's Day prime rib. Fried potatoes, beef, and eggs, all worked well.

and here I thought it was only good for a crawfish boil...

I may have to grab some now!

edited to take out stupid mistake... :unsure:

Edited by CKatCook (log)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 4 weeks later...

In the past I have been lucky enough to receive gifts of this from U.S. chums and I have got to love it. Anyone have a recipe for this spice mix? I can work out a good few of the herbs and spices but can't get it anywhere near spot on.

• 4 months later...

In the past I have been lucky enough to receive gifts of this from U.S. chums and I have got to love it. Anyone have a recipe for this spice mix? I can work out a good few of the herbs and spices but can't get it anywhere near spot on.

Not sure if you're still looking for a recipe, but in John Besh's new cookbook -- My New Orleans -- there's a recipe for Creole seasoning that's surprisingly similar to Old Bay. It would be a good starting point, at least.

Here's a link to a recipe, but unfortunately, although the ingredients are right, the amounts are all wrong. In the book, the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons celery salt; 1 tablespoon each black pepper, sweet paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder; 2 teaspoons cayenne; and 1/2 teaspoon allspice. It also calls for a tablespoon of kosher salt, but I think that makes his mixture saltier than Old Bay. I'd recommend adding salt to your taste. A little ground bay leaf (maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) would probably make it even more like Old Bay.