• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont, Connecticut, and Montreal

So, I'm going to go meet my girlfriend's parents in West Charleston Vermont then drive to New Britain Connecticut to meet the remaining family and then hopefully spend a night in Montreal before flying back to Austin.

Any must-do dining adventures? I've been dying to eat at Au Pied de Cochon for quite a few years now and that's one of the reasons I want to go to Montreal. And it's a beautiful city.

I only have a week. Thanks for the help.

If you are going up I-89, check out Ariel's in Brookfield, a family-run fine dining resto near the Floating Bridge. If you stop in Burlington VT, I'd say check out Sadie Katz's for some truly great New York style deli.

Au Pied de Cochon is all you have heard about and more. Hope you have your reservations lined up. When in Montreal, head north to Little Italy and check out Marché Jean Talon, largest open air market on the North American continent. Spend the day and nosh. Have a great time.

Edited by rcianci (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are only in Montreal for one night, APDC is the "must." We go once or twice a year for three nights, and always go to APDC and Joe Beef, trying to hit a new place for the third dinner.

Can't help much for the New Britain area. IMHO, the best restaurant in Connecticut is now the Schoolhouse at Cannondale in Wilton. A couple of other nice New American options in different parts of the state are Still River Cafe, Firebox, Carole Peck's Good News Cafe. (That said, there is more than just New American in CT.)