• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you use to clean the floors?

ohmyganache

I know it's not the most exciting thread, but how does everyone clean the floor of your restaurant/bakery? I don't have professional experience cleaning... I use a concoction of simple green and a splash of bleach... but I really don't know if this is the best solution for the mop bucket...

What product do you use that you like?

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I've always used whatever our dishwashing/cleaning supply guy drops off. Ecolab products, never had to go and actually try and source the stuff, but if simple green/bleach works for you and is cost effective then go for it!

I used to have problems with our floor not getting clean enough. After trying various kinds of cleaners I discovered it is not so much the chemicals as it is the technique. Now we sweep, mop, let dry, then sweep and mop again. It takes 30 extra mins. at the end of the night but the level of clean has gone way up.

I used to have problems with our floor not getting clean enough. After trying various kinds of cleaners I discovered it is not so much the chemicals as it is the technique.  Now we sweep, mop,  let dry, then sweep and mop again.  It takes 30 extra mins. at the end of the night but the level of clean has gone way up.

That's what i've come to see as the best way. Just using normal dish soap in a mop bucket with hot water, sweep, mop, scrub with a deck brush, used an air dryer for the floor, mopped and brushed again, then dried for the second time.... no chemicals ever got the floor that clean. Worth the added time IMO.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

I don't work in a restaurant, but I am a soapmaker, and use a ton of oils that always seem to end up on the floor no matter how careful i am--

I just started using Fabuloso --it is extremely cheap and cleans my tile floor beautifully.

I agree with the above but I use a commercial citrus based cleaner. The difference for me is the mop itself. I still use the standard rag mop but when I take a towel to the floor for a quick wipe after the rag mop the floor is clean as a whistle.

I don't work in a restaurant, but I am a soapmaker, and use a ton of oils that always seem to end up on the floor no matter how careful i am--

I just started using Fabuloso --it is extremely cheap and cleans my tile floor beautifully.

Another vote for the Fabuloso. It's cheap, it's works really well, and it comes in delicious scents like Lavender and Ocean Fresh. It really makes the place smell clean...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Moping twice would make sense, although it's hard enough at the end of the night to mop once!!! Thanks for the input. I think I need to get the floor professionally done again, it seems as though the protective coat that the guy puts on has worn off and so the floor just gets wicked dirty so fast!

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Bleach and degreaser on the floor, with 16 liters of steaming hot water. Two Cooks deck brush the floor for 10 minutes, One follows behind with a mop. Finally it is mopped a second time to make sure it is nice and dry. Cleaning the floor in my kitchen is a 3 person job and can take 25 minutes to do it properly. But the floor is clean. Also sweep the floor every 30 minutes if possible during the day and give it a quick mop after lunch service. Like anything its easier to keep clean if it is done little by little.