• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chrysanthemum firepot

Has anyone ever had this? I was flipping through my 'Chinese the Beautiful cookbook' and the recipe caught my attention. I grew up drinking chrysanthemum tea but never had it in a savoury dish before.

How common is Chrysanthemum firepot? I've never seen it here (restaurants or home). Also, should the broth be strongly flavoured or very subtle?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

According to Grace Zia Chu, the name Chrysanthemum Fire Pot is used even if no fresh petals are used. "If you use a copper pot with a 'cage' for the liquid alcohol, the flames shooting out wil be vari-colored and give the illusion of a flower".

I always think of it as a regular firepot, with a variety of ingredients - with or without the flower leaves. Some recipes start with a base of plain water and some call for chicken broth.