• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Egg Sandwich

weinoo

Local chain Dunkin Donuts is now offering the donut sandwich, "pepper-fried egg and cherrywood-smoked bacon, between two slices of glazed doughnut."

I debated whether to post this in the Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse topic, but since apparently it's quite a hit, I'm obviously in the minority in finding the idea disgusting.

I don't think that negates any End of History conclusions that we might draw.

Local chain Dunkin Donuts is now offering the donut sandwich, "pepper-fried egg and cherrywood-smoked bacon, between two slices of glazed doughnut."

I debated whether to post this in the Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse topic, but since apparently it's quite a hit, I'm obviously in the minority in finding the idea disgusting.

My husband just showed me this yesterday touted in The Red Eye and we both gagged at the thought!

One of my favourite versions is egg salad with chopped-up hard boiled eggs, freshly ground black pepper, some wasabi, Heinz salad cream (a generous amount) between two slices of lightly toasted sandwich bread.

964233_560820513968703_683450895_o.jpg

Probably not the egg sandwich many of you were thinking in this thread, but it works too.

Fried egg-buttermilk biscuit sandwich, heirloom tomato salad.

Heirloom tomato salad

2 heirloom tomatoes, trimmed and diced

1 shallot, trimmed, peeled and finely diced

1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

sea salt

freshly milled black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.

You can add other things like cucumber, chives, or sub in red onion instead of the shallot. For the first tomatoes of the season, I like to keep things REALLY minimalist/simple.

BTW, this is my favorite way to have breakfast in the summer. It doesn't have to be a buttermilk biscuit -- can be toasted slightly stale bread, an English muffin or a bagel, slathered with butter and topped with a fried egg and tomato salad. Sometimes the egg is fried in olive oil, sometimes it's soft-cooked.

Okay, now I'm hungry.

• Like 1

One of my favourite versions is egg salad with chopped-up hard boiled eggs, freshly ground black pepper, some wasabi, Heinz salad cream (a generous amount) between two slices of lightly toasted sandwich bread.

"Heinz salad cream"? I don't think I've ever heard of it. What is it?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"Heinz salad cream"? I don't think I've ever heard of it. What is it?

Best way I can describe it is as a sort of a sweet-and-sour mayonnaise that's most popular in Great Britain. More details here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to be reading an interesting article on various US regional and unique Americanized "Chinese food" specialties.

http://www.menuism.com/blog/chinese-american-regional-restaurant-specialties/

One of the dishes mentioned is an egg fu yung sandwich. A specialty of St. Louis, and called (for reasons not explained, and maybe not known), the "St. Paul Sandwich," it's an egg fu yung patty served on bread, or hamburger buns, with the usual sorts of "hamburger condiments."

I can really see that with some good mayo, maybe a slice of onion or tomato, perhaps some crunchy lettuce, a quick dash of soy sauce.

An egg sandwich with an Asian twist.

Many of the items mentioned in the article sound pretty ghastly.

But I think this has some real possibilities.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Wow. This thread brings back memories of when I worked at Cornell many, many years (no, decades) ago, Louie's Lunch was always parked in front of Balch Hall (where I worked) from about noon until around midnight - or later. I can remember many nights running out to get a fried egg sub just before they closed up shop. I can't remember just what was in it besides the eggs and cheese but I do remember that it was exactly right at that time of night.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Wow. This thread brings back memories of when I worked at Cornell many, many years (no, decades) ago, Louie's Lunch was always parked in front of Balch Hall (where I worked) from about noon until around midnight - or later. I can remember many nights running out to get a fried egg sub just before they closed up shop. I can't remember just what was in it besides the eggs and cheese but I do remember that it was exactly right at that time of night.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some fried peppers in there too.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 years later...

I ate a lot of egg sandwiches growing up.

Usually egg, over easy or poached with broken yolks served on buttered toast.

Sometimes scrabbled egg severed on toast with mayo.

And a few other ways.

My southern born aunt's favorite....over easy or poached egg with the obvious runny yolk CHOPPED UP and served on buttered toast. Quite amazing!

I don't think I've seen anyone else do it quite the same way.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The Egg Banjo:

This is a British military item, usually cooked in the back of your tank by your driver.

two slices of very pale sliced bread

margarine

a lightly fried egg.

the signature mark of this dish are the oily fingermarks left by the cook as he passes it accross the breach of your gun.

having lightly squeezed this on passing , as you ate you wold sort of 'strum' so as to stop the yolk going on your sweater (hence Egg Banjo)

It's true i tell ya

the perfect egg banjo.jpg

• Like 5

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

What I usually call egg sandwich is quite different. I take hard boiled eggs and roughly mash them with a fork along with tahini sauce and red schug, topped with few thin pickle slices, between two warm bread slices. Yum.

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2016 at 11:49 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Sometimes scrabbled egg severed on toast with mayo.

Severed? LOL laughing.gif

I'm almost always multi-tasking, doing 2 or 3 or 4 things at once—making a mess of ALL of them! LOL

I crave egg sandwiches, which probably seems odd—but I can't don't, usually, eat real bread anymore. :/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I crave well-peppered and ketchuped sausage and cheese sandwiches which may have egg. 

Im trying to minimize carbs so I'll do a low carb 

toortilla. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, heidih said:

As soon as I saw this all I could think of was Steven Shaw's take. I'm a sob mess again.  

And an obit  https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/nyregion/steven-a-shaw-44-founder-of-an-early-blog-about-food-dies.html

Yeah, so sad!  :(

"broken-yolk fried egg"

When I was growing up, and prior, a broken-yolk fried egg sandwich was a poor folk staple.

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

low carb 

toortilla

Have you tried the Mission 'Carb Balance' tortillas?

They're the best low-carb 'white' tortillas I've found.

Joseph's Lavash is also good.

Both are great for egg salad.

I don't think I've made any other type of egg 'sandwich' with them.

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Have you tried the Mission 'Carb Balance' tortillas?

They're the best low-carb 'white' tortillas I've found.

Joseph's Lavash is also good.

Both are great for egg salad.

I don't think I've made any other type of egg 'sandwich' with them.

Exactly! I use the Mission Carb balance ones. Pretty good indeed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

I have to train the deli I go to here in San Francisco to make them plain: bread, egg, butter, salt and pepper.

Ca you train them to get kaiser rolls?

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

so with dry socket....(who in their right mind schedules oral surgery 3 days before a 21 day vacation?  oopppsss…...the husband does)  what is something you can eat and gives you carbs and protein?

OK....if you can't get salt fish cakes with over easy eggs you can get an egg sandwich.....which the husband did all across Newfoundland and Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and Maine and New York......and here at home.

forgot to add that HIMSELF did not know that if you order without cheese and without ham/bacon and lightly toasted they make them to order.  Since John doesn't eat American cheese and without his teeth he can't eat the ham/bacon.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites