• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you overbowl?

For years I underbowled, but in my old age I've become an overbowler. I think it is a result of getting tired of cleaning up the spillage and finally learning the value of portion control.

Definitely in the overbowling camp, except for a few things like onion soup where the food matching the bowl size is critical. I've always been an overbowler and overplater, but have gotten much worse with my new, huge black Barre bowls from Simon Pearce pottery. I like the way overbowling (what a great word!) looks, and the avoidance of spillage.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

The taxonomy of overbowling falls into two broad categories, each with their own subsets.

Conscious overbowling for aesthetic (contrasting colors of a relatively small amount of food in a large white bowl) or practical (no spillage) reasons.

Unconsious overbowling due to cognitive deficits (poor spacial relations) or underlying psychodynamics (overeaters feel compelled to fill the bowl).

These are offered only as examples.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Depends on the food. I underbowl soups because it forces me to be more careful of drips. I overbowl pasta and green salads because twirling pasta or composing a bite of salad can flip off sauce or dressing no matter how careful I am.