• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sketch

rlibkind

The first time I went to Sketch, about two months ago, the burger was good, although not nearly cooked to order: I asked for rare, it arrived well. The hand-cut fries, however, were exceptionally good, so I made myself a promise to return and give the burgers a second try.

I got back today for lunch and the burger, with a ton of sauteed onions atop, came back as ordered. Maybe not as rare as I would cook it (which would be Pittsburgh rare, i.e., charred on the outside and raw in the very center) but rarer than medium rare. As before, it was huge (at least six ounces, cooked, maybe more) and chock fully of beefy flavor. I tackled it with knife and fork, since lifting it seemed to be a problem in quantum mechanics.

The fries remain the best I've had in the city since the Belgian-style friture on South Street closed some time ago after a brief run. The garlicky aoili was a perfect accompaniment. Put these frites in a paper cone and one could imagine being back on Boulevard Anspach, even if the cut wasn't quite the same and the potato a different variety from the ones used in Brussels. They are that good.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Pittsburgh rare is God's gift to beef, IMHO Bob. "Fried" onions only make a burger better. belch.

OK, I'm lost in the burbs. Google says 413 E. Girard; Kenzo!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Are the fries typical shoestring to proper cut?

Definitely not shoestring. These handcut fries are a slightly thick cut at about 3/8-to-1/2" wide (that's a guess), which puts it as larger than a shoestring or your typical fast-food fry, but still significantly smaller than a steak fry. Ranges up to maybe three inches in length, some about half that. Perfectly crisp (with the smaller ones more crunchy in a nice way), great potato flavor.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 1 month later...

I had the oportunity of trying this place for lunch today and was quite impressed. I'd been meaning to get over here for a while but it was worth the wait.

First, I agree completely with Bob's comments entirely (right down to the medium rare asked for and the medium well received!) and throw in some stuff I learned today.

First, their burgers are 8 oz patties consisting of 20% fat as all good burgers should be and grilled on a flattop. I asked what other ingredients went into the patty mix and got some esoteric reply like the seasonings and flattop remnants when what I was really looking for was what other meat was used.

These burgers, even medium well, oozed with juices right into a perfectly paired Le Bus roll that seemed created just for this size burger. It sopped up most of the juices and the carmelized onions were really a perfect compliment to roll, burger and cheese (American).

On to the fries, handcut, well one of those pull down machine jobs that cut them nicely and with skins on. I'm assuming they were quickly flash fried before the second dip in the frier because like Bob said, they were excellent, some of the best I've had anywhere.

Note to Holly: I believe this place warrants at least a mention in Holly Eats, if not 5 grease stains that I rate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out Sketch at 413 E Girard Avenue in Fishtown.

gallery_14_105_11094.jpg

At last, hand cut, twice fried french fries, fried to order and NOT cut shoestring. Next time, when I order them without seasoning, I'll be ordering the best french fry in Philadelphia. This time they came highly seasoned with a blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and some other stuff. Kinda like putting chrome on an Aston Martin - uncalled for and detracting from perfection. I asked, and owner Phyllis says that's what her customers want. So be it. I'll just order them unseasoned. Note - fries are a much bigger portion than they appear. They are served in the same size paper tray as the cheeseburger below

gallery_14_105_8345.jpg

The cheeseburger was good. Cooked as ordered, medium rare. But again I'd order it unseasoned. I'd also order it smaller if it were available. A huge eight ounces and totally unwieldy with all the toppings and the big bun.

Had a coffee milk shake to go with it. Served just the way I like it, with the remainder in a stainless mixer cup.

Great potential here.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I wish my burger came out medium rare as asked but it was tasty nonetheless. As I knew the burgers were huge beforehand, I simply ordered mine with fried onions and it was still unwiedly.

I really enjoyed those fries...so Holly will they score a mention on your site?

The past few times I've been to Pub and Kitchen I ask they same question, "Are onion rings back on the menu."

gallery_14_105_727.jpg

These were great onion rings, maybe the best ever in Philadelphia, but I suspect that decided the kitchen could not keep up with demand. Batter dipped onion rings have to be pretty much cooked to order and that is tough in volume.

So I'm thinking. Philadelphia once again needs a great onion ring at a reasonably priced restaurant. Sketch really cares about quality. Wonder if they could fit another fryer in their kitchen since the onion flavor dominates the shortening and would ruin the fries? Maybe they have one already.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

hit up sketch the other day. if the burger was half the size it is i'd adore it; as it is it's merely freaking delicious, juicy enough to make up for the overcooking (next time i'll order it rare and see what comes out). the people running it are super nice, the whole shop has a great vibe.

the fries are ideal. they're fantastic. i'm with holly -- they're exactly what i've been looking for. (i do have a soft spot for the kind of 1/4" frozen fries that everyone serves. i won't deny it.)

hit up sketch the other day. if the burger was half the size it is i'd adore it; as it is it's merely freaking delicious, juicy enough to make up for the overcooking (next time i'll order it rare and see what comes out).  the people running it are super nice, the whole shop has a great vibe.

the fries are ideal.  they're fantastic.  i'm with holly -- they're exactly what i've been looking for.  (i do have a soft spot for the kind of 1/4" frozen fries that everyone serves.  i won't deny it.)

As I'm reading this post, I'm snacking on reheated fries from Sketch. They still taste amazing even out of the oven the next day. My daughter and her boyfriend went yesterday.

FYI MrBigJas: Goodnoe's opened up on Sycamore Street in Newtown last week next to the Lukoil station.

Had my first Sketch burger tonight on my way to the Root cocktail competition at Silk City. Turkey burger with cheddar. harissa aioli, pickles, lettuce and tomato. Awesome. And almost too big to eat. Can't wait to go back and try some of the specials that also look amazing...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Had my first Sketch burger tonight on my way to the Root cocktail competition at Silk City.  Turkey burger with cheddar. harissa aioli, pickles, lettuce and tomato.  Awesome.  And almost too big to eat.  Can't wait to go back and try some of the specials that also look amazing...

Katie, do not fail to order the fries. You will not be disappointed I promise you.

James: I have not but everyone else in my house has. It's in a former beauty salon and is ice cream only, no food. I remember one of your past posts about it and thought you'd wnat to know...

Had my first Sketch burger tonight on my way to the Root cocktail competition at Silk City. 

No thread hijack but Katie, please let us know how the Root event went!

Burger content- looks delish but an 8oz burger is a big one for me. Holly's recommendation on the fries makes me want to try 'em out tho!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>