• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite donuts in Philadelphia?

rlibkind

In honor of National Donut Day, what's your favorite non-chain donut in town? So, I'm excluding Dunkin and Krispie. Although those donuts are okay, the best donuts come from smaller little shops.

The donut ideal of my childhood was made by a World War II vet who outfitted an old school bus as his donut shop and parked it on the side of the road. All he made were plain and sugar-coated (confectioners sugar, not a glaze) cake donuts, fried in lard. Yum!

Whether cake or raised, where do you go for donuts (again, besides the chains).

btw, National Donut Day, on the first Friday in June, which is today, commemorates the Salvation Army female volunteers known as “lassies” wo prepared thousands of fresh donuts to the homesick soldiers that served in France during World War I. National Donut Day was officially established in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise much-needed funds during the Great Depression.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Suzy Jo's in Bridgeport was my go-to when I lived in Conshohocken.

I second Suzy-Jo's!

(and if I see your blog correctly Tim, I have your brother Mal to thank for introducing me to SJ's when we worked together in KOP)

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

In honor of National Donut Day, what's your favorite non-chain donut in town? So, I'm excluding Dunkin and Krispie. Although those donuts are okay, the best donuts come from smaller little shops.

The donut ideal of my childhood was made by a World War II vet who outfitted an old school bus as his donut shop and parked it on the side of the road. All he made were plain and sugar-coated (confectioners sugar, not a glaze) cake donuts, fried in lard. Yum!

Whether cake or raised, where do you go for donuts (again, besides the chains).

btw, National Donut Day, on the first Friday in June, which is today, commemorates the Salvation Army female volunteers known as “lassies” wo prepared thousands of fresh donuts to the homesick soldiers that served in France during World War I. National Donut Day was officially established in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise much-needed funds during the Great Depression.

Well since Lil' Spot on Juniper is no more, and since Termini's is no longer in the donut business (is there a trend here?) I guess I will have to settle for one of those strawberry cream ones at Beiler's (the cause of errant confectioners sugar on the face in recent weeks at RTM). They are the pink cream ones on the second to the bottom row by the way...

YEE_0461-beilers.jpg

I also assume that Krispy Kreme is no more around these parts too since the one near us has been long gone. Good for the cholesterol...

I guess I will have to settle for one of those strawberry cream ones at Beiler's (the cause of errant confectioners sugar on the face in recent weeks at RTM). They are the pink cream ones on the second to the bottom row by the way...

Forgot about Beiler's. They're certainly OK, but just that.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report