• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resume

Cookwithlove

Fellow chefs,

I need some pointers or sample on the proper and neat looking resume of a trained professional chefs undergoing many hours of laborious trainning in the kitchen for years?

Happy cooking!

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Fellow chefs,

I need some pointers or sample on the proper and  neat looking resume of a trained  professional chefs undergoing many hours of laborious  trainning in the kitchen for years?

Happy cooking!

Plenty of websites out there with samples. Chefs resumes/CVs aren't all that different from any other industry. Don't get too cute, have someone check your spelling, and try to avoid clunky run-on sentences like your post above.

One page only, be concise about what info you're conveying. I do NOT want to see a multiple page resume... Change the settings in Word to increase the amount of space on the page you can write.

Add work experience, education, and extra-curricular activities (volunteerism, etc.) Make sure your dates of employment are correct. Make sure you have phone and e-mail. Make your name BIG!

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

On the other hand, there are professionals who do nothing BUT write resumes. I've heard their clients call them "the best $200.00 I ever spent!" HTH! Maybe if you Google "Chef's Resumes" ? Good luck!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

On the other hand, there are professionals who do nothing BUT write resumes. I've heard their clients call them "the best $200.00 I ever spent!" HTH! Maybe if you Google "Chef's Resumes" ? Good luck!

Thanks guys for the input.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

I HATE one page resumés! People use it as an excuse to put "references available upon request".....which drives me batty. Those resumés get tossed in the bin the minute that I see those words.

Supply references.

Check spelling and grammar.

Provide details about your job in each establishment. Concise is good, but so brief as to give no info, is deadly.

Don't put jobs that have no bearing on the job that you are applying for. For instance, if you are applying to be a cook, don't put down all of those years that you were cutting hair.

Provide current contact info!

Good luck!

I HATE one page resumés!  People use it as an excuse to put "references available upon request".....which drives me batty.  Those resumés get tossed in the bin the minute that I see those words.

Supply references.

Provide details about your job in each establishment.  Concise is good, but so brief as to give no info, is deadly.

Don't put jobs that have no bearing on the job that you are applying for.  For instance, if you are applying to be a cook, don't put down all of those years that you were cutting hair.

Good luck!

In the US, it is standard to keep a resume to one page and not include references, or MAYBE a second page with references only. Elsewhere, a CV might acceptably be 2 full pages with more detail. US resumes also should not include a picture, age, or hobbies, whereas these may be expected on an international CV. You may wish to have both, depending on where you are looking for a job.

I HATE one page resumés!  People use it as an excuse to put "references available upon request".....which drives me batty.  Those resumés get tossed in the bin the minute that I see those words.

Supply references.

Provide details about your job in each establishment.  Concise is good, but so brief as to give no info, is deadly.

Don't put jobs that have no bearing on the job that you are applying for.  For instance, if you are applying to be a cook, don't put down all of those years that you were cutting hair.

Good luck!

In the US, it is standard to keep a resume to one page and not include references, or MAYBE a second page with references only. Elsewhere, a CV might acceptably be 2 full pages with more detail. US resumes also should not include a picture, age, or hobbies, whereas these may be expected on an international CV. You may wish to have both, depending on where you are looking for a job.

I'd add that including references on a resume is a no-no. I believe that is an infringement of privacy. I don't want my - or anyone elses - reference information going out on every resume that is sent out. Once you have an interview and you are at the point where the employer wants the references - that is the time to hand them over so they may be checked.