• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miche Mache :)

Just a hello from a Chef who used to enjoy chilling out on Water street in SONO CT.

We used to love your Gospel Sunday brunches and the casual but spirited cuisine.

I enjoyed my one meal at heartbeat in Febuary ( I loved the crispy edinamie beans )

I had monkfish in a roasted garlic jus (if I remember correctly ) and it was excellent.

Although I don't have any specific question I just want to wish you continued succees.

This was some comments I wrote on another site ( I hope this is ok)

I went to Manhatten tonight for a buisness dinner with Arno Schmit, Arno was the Executive Chef at the Waldorf Astoria from 1969/1979. He now consults. Arno was the man that lead me to my job that I have had for 14 years. While I could fill a hundred pages with Arnos history I will tell you about Heartbeat. Ian Shreiger has put together quite a resume of hotels over the past 15 years. The W hotels are no exception. Ultra modern and hip is heartbeat..so I fit in perfectly Anyway...Heartbeat is a place that is heart friendly. I started with a Heirloom winter squash soup with sweet North carolina shrimp, a touch of basmati, and drizzeled with chili oil. Excellent flavor, sweet from the squash, nice texture from the shrimp and a tease of heat from the chili oil. Arno had a side dish for his app. asparagus with "Corn Bernaise" ok, asparagus in Febuary? Yep, corn to? yep...but it was pretty good. Pencil grass seasoned with S&P and what we deducted as a purre of fresh and milked corn, pushed through a china cap and simply adorned with a chiffinade of tarragon. Entrees where (Arnos) steamed black bass with lime and baby bok choy, with a soft asian dip... I had roast Lotte, with chanterells, favas, fingerlings in a garlic jus....Excellent. Texture,flavor,aroma,color. Very well done dish. Arno was jealous. I had picked a nice white from the Loire valley...nice match, happy faces. Dessert for Arno was a orange chocolate lava torte, warm and supple..but nothing new. I had a trio of sorbets...Cantalope, Pineapple and coconut with a meruinge cookie for texture. Very grainy and predictable. Fair pricing structure, really trendy tea service. (20 teas presented loose on slate for you to admire) Hey, 6 to 12 bucks for tea, I don't think so.. Anyway, take a look at Heartbeat. Order carefully. This spot was busy (great to see) but I would give it 2 Capes... cc I forgot, steamed edomani with kosher salt was placed on the table to nibble on as we decided our meal

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Thanks for the good words and thanks for commenting on the "winter" asparagus. We are on management contract to the W New York and are a hotel restaurant. There were times when we and the hotel were getting to know each other. We must also respond to our guests' legitimate requests.

At the time we were serving winter asparagus (we no longer do), the hotel was concerned about guests paying $300+ for a room and not seeing anything on the menu they were comfortable ordering. We put on the steak and served it with asparagus to appease this concern. We have since addressed this through our room service menu by offering more mainstream, comfort-style foods, and have secured a commitment from the hotel to allow us to pursue our beliefs in Heartbeat. While we cannot go as far as we would if we were free-standing, we won't be serving asparagus in February. :rolleyes:

Michel,

Thanks for taking some time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions.

Mozel Tov.

I hope you have some time to trick or treat with your family.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.