• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to Package Gifts of Chocolate

Lior

I have been asked to prepare a few gifts as examples for a company that gives gift vouchers to other companies, hotels and restaurants, who may order anywhere from 10 to 100 gifts.

The amount of each gift is quite low and would include something like 4 bonbons and 2 (50g) bars, or anything of that weight more or less. My question is what ideas do you have for inexpensive yet elegant packaging. I have a box for 4 bonbons, but I would need to package it all nicely. Baskets are so common... The total price is quite inhibitive. I could also just offer a box of 9 pralines with a small bar, tie it up with a ribbon and that is that. Simple but elegant. The issue is they have also asked other chocolatiers to prepare examples and the companies would choose who they want to order from.

Thanks

Since shelf-life of filled chocolates could be an issue...

What about a stack of colorfully wrapped chocolate bars e.g. Pralus ?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

This is an interesting idea that nobody here does. I have small squares that I could wrap up colorfully. Shelf life may not be an issue always though, as the company would refer directly to me with a voucher. If for a holiday theymay want to give employees apresent for example, I would deliver it to the company. If a hotel needed a stock then shelf life could be an issue. I really like your idea-thank you!!

Will these be generic, or will you be adding the logo of the business to the packaging?

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

How about this: thin slices of dried-fruit dipped in dark chocolate e.g. Michael Recchiuti .

You could even make it more interesting by using some local fruits.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Theresa, I have this square mold with my logo on it so this could be nice. Mow John! Those pears and apples are just beautiful! But how?? They are dried "crisps" ? What can that mean? Perhaps freeze dried slices? Now this is getting interesting!! I know Van Drunen Farms carries freeze dried fruit slices.

I could even combine the two ideas...

You're really amazing!

Theresa, I have this square mold with my logo on it so this could be nice. Mow John! Those pears and apples are just beautiful! But how?? They are dried "crisps" ? What can that mean? Perhaps freeze dried slices? Now this is getting interesting!! I know Van Drunen Farms carries freeze dried fruit slices.

I could even combine the two ideas...

You're really amazing!

Lior, I think he slices them VERY thin with a mandolin, coats with lime juice, and dries in a slow oven (very low heat) until crisp/dry. (I think you may need to put something on top of them while they dry so that they remain flat.) Then coat with chocolate. Very elegant and tasty, too!

John DePaula
--------------------

OMG!! I have his book! I will go and look- how perfect! Usually what I get interested in is in some book I don't have and when I go to check out its price it is one of those "wish list " books. And nobody in my family even knows I have one!!! Private wishes after university tuitions, rent help and all those needs kids have take a looong while to fulfil! (God bless them!)

Thank you! :rolleyes:

I've got the book too, and completely missed this. I guess I was concentrating on truffles back then and with no picture to catch my eye I scanned right over it.

What sort of apple would go best with this, Granny Smith?