• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to clean burnt black stainless?

turkeybone

Well I hope its straightforward.. the backsplashes at work are pretty burnt up from the burners and such, and we have some time to devote attention to getting them clean.. anyone have a sure-fire method?

So far oven cleaner, stiff wire brushes, and persistence seem to work but if theres some better way, Im all ears.

Rico

Can you drape something over the back of the backsplashes or are they tight against the wall?

I've had good luck soaking kitchen towels in noxious chemicals and draping them over the filthy bits, and leaving them there overnight. Stuff wipes right off in the morning.

Paper towels will stick if you can't drape something, but they dry out faster and don't work as well.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

One side is the wall itself and the other has a pan shelf overhanging.. but Im sure I could jury-rig something. Any chemicals you have in mind for such a task?

We do powerwash every week, though generally there is service between any sort of soak time and then clean time.

Rico

I used oven cleaner. It ruined the towels but I used cheap old ones that were worn out anyway.

And I ventilated the kitchen to a fare-thee-well and made my husband turn off the gas because I was afraid I'd blow the house up.

Mine is a 36" with a back splash only halfway up the wall, the rest is a passover.

Edited for spelling and to add:

This works on various things, like sinks/baths you can't de-scum because the overflow valve is too low, *ahem* the insides of the john (use tp), etc.

Cheers,

The Queen of Lazy Ass Town

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

There is a serious carbon cleaner that you brush on and leave overnight, then wash off the next morning. Ask your rep who delivers your chemicals(sysco, us foods. et al). Worked great for me rehabbing a used stove and backsplash. Make sure you have some sort of protective gloves also, this stuff is bad news. I felt guilty using it.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Most of the heavy duty cleaners are also an eye hazard. Be sure you are using some kind of eye protection -- especially while applying or scrubbing when the stuff can get splashed around...

Joe Blowe is correct. Carbon-Off works better than anything else I have tried.

I've used it to clean the inside of my barbecue and the stainless steel looked almost new.

I use one of the heavy-duty utility brushes to get it into the corners and knock off the crusty stuff then use a second application to finish it off.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The question is, once you get the crud cleaned off, what do you do to keep it clean?

For years I had a 4 eye-36" griddle range with a s/s low back wall and plate shelf, bought it new and kept it looking that way too.

I'd hang sheets of aluminum foil on the wall. Spray the wall with water and wipe on the foil with a rag. Then crimp the foil underneath the backsplash (when the burner grates are removed) and scotch tape the overhang on the sides of the backsplash.

Once a week I'd take apaart the whole stove to clean anyway, so that was the time I'd either flip the foil over to the "clean" side (either call me cheap or enviromentally concious, but I use both sides of the foil before tossing it out...) Once the backsplash is clean, it's just a matter of covering it with foil to keep it clean.l