• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint Cocktails

My favorite refreshing mint cocktail:

Put 3 crushed ice cubes a highball glass. Add 1 part of Peppermint Rosolio (or any mint liqueur), 2 parts of fresh milk, 2 teaspoon of sweetened condensed milk, 2-3 drops of Absinthe Liqueur and stir.

Decorate with a sprig of mint.

My Italian Homemade Liqueurs and Pastries recipes at: http://italianliqueurs.blogspot.com.es

• 3 weeks later...

French Pearl last night with Plymouth gin and Pernod pastis. I should make this more often because it is delightful, especially in the summer.

9250468939_c3e9355591_z.jpg

French Pearl
by Audrey Saunders and Kenta Goto, Pegu Club, New York, NY
2 oz Gin, Plymouth
1/2 oz Lime juice [This was made with pastis so I used 3/4 oz lime juice. With absinthe Audrey says to use 1/2 oz).]
3/4 oz Simple syrup
1/4 oz Absinthe, Pernod
1 spg Mint (muddled) [i don't bother to muddle the mint because it will get muddled with the ice cubes during (energetic) shaking.]

Muddle, shake, double strain, straight up, chilled cocktail glass, garnish [i don't think that this drink has a garnish btw (based on this for example).]

Although it's abominably sweet to my taste, I made up a drink on the fly for someone that wanted a sweet/fruity/girly drink last week.

.5 oz. simple syrup (in truth I'd rather use a packet of Sugar in the Raw for its abrasive qualities, but don't have any at the bar)

approx. 8 mint leaves

1 wedge lime

Muddle together until mint is well bruised and giving up the flavor.

Add:

2 oz. vanilla vodka

1.5 oz. pineapple juice

splash fresh lime juice

Shake vigorously and dump into a collins glass, keeping the mint and lime wedge in the drink/ Top with a splash of soda. Stir. Garnish with a spanked sprig of mint and a lime wheel.

Not my cup of tea, but the folks I've made it for have loved it. <shrug>

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today I experimented with adding Prosecco to an ABC (I omitted the simple as that seemed to be an error and it sounded plenty sweet in any case). I wanted to come up with something that would be popular with a lot of people who aren't into cocktails for an upcoming Christmas party.

I didn't exactly hate it...

002 (471x640).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

I've been serving this as my requisite accessible/lowish alcohol drink for guests to good results:

3/4 oz Gin
3/4 oz Dry vermouth
3/4 oz Mint syrup (or simple syrup)
3/4 oz Lime juice
Sort of a Southside crossed with a Martini. The dry vermouth softens it but gives it a lingering interesting finish.
The drink has been universally liked the names I've given it (Verve, Jet Set) have not. Suggestions welcome.
My mint syrup is one cup sugar mixed with one cup brewed mint tea (I use this one) with six or seven mint leaves infused to taste.
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

3/4 oz Gin
3/4 oz Dry vermouth
3/4 oz Lime juice
Sort of a Southside crossed with a Martini. The dry vermouth softens it but gives it a lingering interesting finish.
The drink has been universally liked the names I've given it (Verve, Jet Set) have not. Suggestions welcome.

Kingdom of the West? (From the wikipedia article about Morocco.)

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)
  • Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 2 months later...

Last night I tried another riff on the Southside - Erick Castro's Ocean Side (London dry gin, lime juice, simple syrup, celery bitters, salt, mint). Like the Southern Exposure, the modifying element is celery, this time in the form of celery bitters (Scrappy's). They use Beefeater for the gin.

12784325924_67b42ddfbc_z.jpg

It's nice and refreshing. But to be honest, not being a huge fan of celery seed (the predominant flavor in the bitters), I think I prefer the original better. It may be fun to try it with another kind of herbal bitters. Thinking out of the box, something seaweedy would be great. Where are kelp or uni bitters when you need them? Maybe it's time to dig out the bottle of samphire vodka I have in the back of a closet somewhere...

3/4 oz Gin
3/4 oz Dry vermouth
3/4 oz Lime juice

Kingdom of the West? (From the wikipedia article about Morocco.)

This is intriguing. I think I need to try it, probably with the Navy Strengh gin.

Does it have an official name now?