• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint Cocktails

We've got the massive Mint Julep topic here. We've got the Southside covered here. Meanwhile, there are references hereabouts to French Pearls, Rivieras, and more.

Let's get a good collection of mint cocktails before the damned weeds take over our houses due to lack of regular harvesting.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Nothing Earth-shattering, but we've been having some good successes with the Greater Antilles, a Mojito made with a spice syrup based off of "Donn's Spices" from Sippin Safari, paired with the 7 yr Flor de Cana.

Hope this doesn't violate the pedestrian drinks ban.

If so, I've always been intrigued by the 'Jewish Absinthe' from Killer Cocktails but have never actually gotten around to trying it. Caveat Imbibor.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Bacchus Swizzle

Bols Genever 1 1/2 oz

Dry Sherry 1/2 oz

Lemon 1/2 oz

Six Grapes (halved)

Dash A.B.

Tblsp sugar (depending on Sherry)

Seven Mint leaves

Muddle Grapes, Lemon, Sugar, Angostura just to the point of the grapes popping, don't rip em to shreds. Add Mint, lightly bruise. Add Sherry and Genever. Top with crushed ice, swizzle, ice, swizzle. Top with mas ice and lance with a straw.

________ Park Swizzle

1 oz Brugal White Rum

1 oz Matusalem Rum

.75 oz Lime Juice

.5 oz Demerara Syrup (skinny)

Mint Leaves

3 big dash Peychaud Bitters

Glass: Collins

Garnish: Mint Bouquet & Spank the Mint

Ice: Crushed Ice

In a Collins glass, gently bruise the mint. With muddler, rub oils up and down the side of the glass. Add rum, lime, demerara syrup and bitters. Let macerate for 1 minute. Fill glass .75 of the way with crushed ice. Swizzle. Over fill with more crushed ice. Add bouquet of mint. Serve. Spank mint in front of guest.

*The cocktail should have 3 layers and look like the Italian Flag (Green, Red, White from bottom to top).

This is a a cocktail that turns heads. The problem is if you make one you will be making them all night. The layer of bitters should not be disturbed so the last sip is bitters filtered though mint.

Pimm’s Rangoon

1 oz Pimm’s No. 1

1 oz Gin

.75 oz Ginger Syrup

.75 oz Lime Juice

1 Mint Sprig

3 Cucumber Slices

.5 Strawberry

Top: Soda

Garnish: Cucumber, Mint, .5 Strawberry, Candied Ginger & Spank the Mint

Ice: Shard

Muddle all ingredients together. Shake. Strain. Top with soda. Garnish.

Rangoon Fizz

2 oz Tanqueray

.75 oz Ginger Syrup

1 oz Lime Juice

9 drops Angostura Bitters

5 sprigs Mint

Top: Tonic (Q or Fever Tree preferred.)

Garnish: Mint Sprigs dew dropped with Angostura.

Ice: Shard

Shake. Strain into Collins glass. Top with tonic, garnish.

Cheers,

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

There's the Juniperotivo...

2.0 oz : Junipero gin

1.0 oz : fresh lime juice

1.0 oz : simple syrup

0.5 oz : pomegranate molasses

2 sprigs of mint

And Phil had a riff on this called the Arraquiri that more or less subbed the Juniopero out for arrack

--

________ Park Swizzle

1  oz Brugal White Rum

1  oz Matusalem Rum

.75  oz Lime Juice

.5  oz Demerara Syrup (skinny)

Mint Leaves

3 big dash Peychaud Bitters

Glass:  Collins

Garnish: Mint Bouquet & Spank the Mint

Ice:  Crushed Ice

In a Collins glass, gently bruise the mint. With muddler, rub oils up and down the side of the glass. Add rum, lime, demerara syrup and bitters. Let macerate for 1 minute. Fill glass .75 of the way with crushed ice. Swizzle. Over fill with more crushed ice. Add bouquet of mint. Serve. Spank mint in front of guest.

*The cocktail should have 3 layers and look like the Italian Flag (Green, Red, White from bottom to top).

This is a a cocktail that turns heads. The problem is if you make one you will be making them all night.  The layer of bitters should not be disturbed so the last sip is bitters filtered though mint.

Pimm’s Rangoon

1 oz Pimm’s No. 1

1 oz Gin

.75  oz Ginger Syrup

.75  oz Lime Juice

1  Mint Sprig

3  Cucumber Slices

.5  Strawberry

Top:  Soda

Garnish: Cucumber, Mint, .5 Strawberry, Candied Ginger & Spank the Mint

Ice:  Shard

Muddle all ingredients together. Shake. Strain. Top with soda.  Garnish.

Rangoon Fizz

2 oz Tanqueray

.75 oz Ginger Syrup

1 oz Lime Juice

9 drops Angostura Bitters

5 sprigs Mint

Top:  Tonic (Q or Fever Tree preferred.)

Garnish: Mint Sprigs dew dropped with Angostura.

Ice:  Shard

Shake. Strain into Collins glass.  Top with tonic, garnish.

Cheers,

Toby

would you ever sub Domaine de Canton Ginger Liquer for the ginger syrup or would it be too "strong" alchohol %-wise

these all sound great as is...tho

um... so simple, but it should be mentioned at least: the smash.

1.5 oz booze of your choice (bourbon and rye are great, a tasty white rum is perfect -- love flor de cana white in this)

simple syrup to taste (~tsp, a good gum syrup with demarara is best)

mint

fizzy water

muddle mint with booze and syrup. add ice. top with fizzy water. give the garnish bunch of mint a good wump. sip with short straw.

would you ever sub Domaine de Canton Ginger Liquer for the ginger syrup or would it be too "strong" alchohol %-wise

these all sound great as is...tho

Can't speak for Toby, but from my own experience with both ingredients the Canton would not even come close to a replacement. Canton doesn't pack nearly the ginger whallop, and it has some artificial notes in addition to the booziness you mention. Recently, the Chicago distiler Koval has produced a ginger liqueur that is less boozy (20%) and tastes much more natural, but it still isn't nearly as spicy as ginger syrup made from fresh juice and sugar.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 2 weeks later...

French Pearl

Pegu Club, NYC

1 sprig mint (10-12 leaves)

3/4 oz fresh lime juice

3/4 oz simple syrup (1:1, uncooked)

1/4 oz Pernod

2 oz Plymouth Gin

Add all liquids to the shaker, and gently but thoroughly muddle the leaves with the liquid. Add cracked ice, shake, and strain through fine-mesh sieve.

Cheers, Bill. :smile: I've yet to try the French Pearl at home. Loved it at Pegu Club, though. It's a sophisticated cocktail.

I guess you could substitute absinthe for Pernod. (Is Pernod sweeter?) Maybe one of you guys with a well-stocked bar can try both versions and report back.

Cheers, Bill. :smile: I've yet to try the French Pearl at home. Loved it at Pegu Club, though. It's a sophisticated cocktail.

I guess you could substitute absinthe for Pernod. (Is Pernod sweeter?) Maybe one of you guys with a well-stocked bar can try both versions and report back.

I've seen others warn that this drink was formulated specifically with the sweetness and relative restraint of Pernod in mind, and that subbing Absinthe was not adviseable. That said, would be nice to get some more opinions.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've seen others warn that this drink was formulated specifically with the sweetness and relative restraint of Pernod in mind, and that subbing Absinthe was not adviseable. That said, would be nice to get some more opinions.

Exactly my experience. I had the French Pearl at PC a while back and, without the recipe, had to reconstruct it at home. A number of substitutes just didn't work, both for flavor and appearance. Pernod is it, as Audrey's recipe indicates.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Perhaps Herbsaint in the French Pearl? I don't really like Pernod and tend not to keep it around.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Make a French Pearl and you will. As someone who tried Herbsaint subbed in for it, I can tell you that the drink isn't the same.

What about Ricard? If it's all I have, will it do?

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Make a French Pearl and you will. As someone who tried Herbsaint subbed in for it, I can tell you that the drink isn't the same.

Fair enough!

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Haven't tried it. Take a crack at it and report back!

Sir, you have the patience of a saint. My reply was pretty tongue-in-cheek, given the multiple attempts to deviate from the recipe that were shot down. I just assumed mine would suffer the same fate.

That said, your encouragement led me to whip up a French Pearl with Ricard, and it is perfectly potable. The pastis adds a significant depth beyond what initially strikes my palate as a Southside. The suggestion by thirtyoneknots that absinthe would be inadvisable is undoubtedly correct. It would overpower the delicate balance in this drink. If you want a similar drink with absinthe, I would suggest something like the Oldest Living Confederate Widow.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

DeVoto, The Hour