• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meskerem on MacDougal

Emily_R

I'm coming into the city for a visit this weekend. I love Ethiopian food, and a friend suggested meeting at Meskerem on MacDougal. I'm reading fairly mixed things online, mostly old reviews. Has anyone here been recently? I'd love to hear your assessment...

Edited by Emily_R (log)

Both Meskerem aren't as good as Queen of Sheba  IMO

Ok, but given that I won't be in the Queen of Sheba neighborhood, is the village Meskerem *bad* or just not quite as good?

I've only been to Hell's Kitchen Meskerem a few times which was a bit disapointing both on food qlty and service. The one perk is the byo policy should that interest you. If you really love Ethiopian though, I agree w/Raj, it's worth heading up to Sheba in Hell's Kitchen.

That wasn't chicken

Both Meskerem aren't as good as Queen of Sheba  IMO

Ok, but given that I won't be in the Queen of Sheba neighborhood, is the village Meskerem *bad* or just not quite as good?

I'd say just not quite as good... not sure if they make their bread with white flour, but if that's still the case, I guess it's best to avoid it. Sometimes when I crave Ethiopean, I get south Indian instead (look at a map and you see why they're so close), and get an uttapam or upma or something else on the fluffier side, cuz the vegetarian options are so much more interesting. Something to consider

• 2 months later...
I've only been to Hell's Kitchen Meskerem a few times which was a bit disapointing both on food qlty and service.  The one perk is the byo policy should that interest you.  If you really love Ethiopian though, I agree w/Raj, it's worth heading up to Sheba in Hell's Kitchen.

That wasn't my experience. I thought that branch of Meskerem was great! The best Ethiopian food I've ever had! We got the Meskerem Combo, the Vegetarian Combo, and Doro Wat (a chicken leg dish). The injera was really nicely sour, and everything was really tasty; my only slight criticism is that the chicken leg was kind of dry. We also shared a bottle of Tej, which we really liked and found deliciously fruity, with a pleasant honey aftertaste. The place is a real winner, and I will definitely be back. The cost including tip was a bit over $90 all told. And the service was very nice.

Incidentally, we had initially planned on going to Queen of Sheba, but left when they wouldn't seat us (a party of 3) at a 4-top. In fairness, they said it was reserved, so I'm not criticizing them.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've only been to Hell's Kitchen Meskerem a few times which was a bit disapointing both on food qlty and service.  The one perk is the byo policy should that interest you.  If you really love Ethiopian though, I agree w/Raj, it's worth heading up to Sheba in Hell's Kitchen.

That wasn't my experience. I thought that branch of Meskerem was great! The best Ethiopian food I've ever had! We got the Meskerem Combo, the Vegetarian Combo, and Doro Wat (a chicken leg dish). The injera was really nicely sour, and everything was really tasty; my only slight criticism is that the chicken leg was kind of dry. We also shared a bottle of Tej, which we really liked and found deliciously fruity, with a pleasant honey aftertaste. The place is a real winner, and I will definitely be back. The cost including tip was a bit over $90 all told. And the service was very nice.

Incidentally, we had initially planned on going to Queen of Sheba, but left when they wouldn't seat us (a party of 3) at a 4-top. In fairness, they said it was reserved, so I'm not criticizing them.

So you think Meskerem is better than Queen of Sheba or you haven't been to both?

So you think Meskerem is better than Queen of Sheba or you haven't been to both?

I have yet to try Queen of Sheba. I just certainly didn't have any disappointments on deliciousness of service at the Hell's Kitchen Meskerem last night.

Michael aka "Pan"