• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1 Year Anniversary

jrichman

Fellow Egullet Members,

My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary soon and I am reaching out to you to provide some suggestions for dinner and what to do in NJ (preferably central to northern NJ however southern NJ is not out of the question) - any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thank You.

Fellow Egullet Members,

My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary soon and I am reaching out to you to provide some suggestions for dinner and what to do in NJ (preferably central to northern NJ however southern NJ is not out of the question) - any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thank You.

Rat's and the Grounds For Sculpture are amazing and special:

http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/RatsRestaurant

I haven't been in a while, so we might need some people to weigh-in with recent visits, but Cafe Matisse in Rutherford has always been a great place for special occasions, and believe it or not, they actually pull-off the dishes on their menu in a very impressive way. It's BYO too. But the food has always been pretty exceptional.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Dinner at Highlawn Pavillion and drinks al fresco on their veranda on a nice warm night.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I highly recommend - David Drakes in Rahway. My husband and I have been there twice - excellent food, wonderful service, small cozy & romantic.

Cafe Matisse also has excellent food, wonderful service, and is small, cozy & romantic, but I would rate David Drakes a little higher. I think Cafe Matisse is a BYOB so you might want to bring something special to drink.