• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Different restaurant ratings - what's what

gfron1

Last week a new cook was rattling on and on about some "5-star restaurant" in the Phoenix area...and I had never heard of it. I quickly through out the names bantered around on eG which I consider the best. It led me to thinking about the rating systems that are out there.

My first thought, knowing this kid and his family, is that he was probably referring to AAA diamonds. Fair or not, I don't give much credence to that rating system as my perspective is they honor established, conservative restaurants for the RVset.

When I hear Michelin or Beard, then I pay attention. My assumption here is that these are going to be nicer restaurants that are looking toward cutting edge or at least not remaining stagnant. Again, fair or not.

Am I way off base? What rating systems do you use or have you found reliable and worthy?

When I hear Michelin or Beard, then I pay attention.  My assumption here is that these are going to be nicer restaurants that are looking toward cutting edge or at least not remaining stagnant.  Again, fair or not.

Am I way off base?  What rating systems do you use or have you found reliable and worthy?

"Cutting edge" ain't always a good thing, in my book. When it works, it's an eye-opener, but when it doesn't, it can be a twitch-inducer. As always, one has to try for themselves in order to make a fair statement, but sometimes new-for-the-sake-of-new is just oneupsmanship in a lousy way...they're just trying too hard, and they fall *off* of the edge.

Both of your cited sources seem to be pretty reliable, and I'd say that you're right in that AAA tends to be geared more conservatively than either of the others you mentioned. That being said, the Old Guard didn't *become* the Old Guard by not being able to do things right, and do them consistently, and the shiny new kid on the block isn't necessarily the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Where'd the executive chef go to school? Who did they train under? What places were they in before their current position? Are they in a position to use their culinary strong suit to the best of their ability where they are, or are they a square peg being pounded into a hole for a round one?

Me, I'm geared more toward places that can let food speak for itself first, rather than gussying it up beyond its original flavorish intention.

Your system is fair, considering that you've been around the block long enough to ask the same questions, you know what you prefer and what your standards are. Besides, you're not the type of person who'd buy *anyone* else's opinion lock, stock, and barrel before you've even tried it, are you? Barring hyperbolic tragedy, that is. ;)

when I hear "stars" I think of Michelin, since that's about the only time I'd refer to stars myself. If that's clearly not what people are talking about -- EG "4-star", or a location where Michelin doesn't have ratings -- then I'll clue in that they're using another system, and disregard.

locally people will use stars as in Toronto Life (magazine)'s ratings. I occasionally hear star ratings from newspapers. Online if it's not Michelin, the NY Times' ratings seem to be thrown around. Never heard about Beard. Zagat I actually don't hear that often, but they use a number, not star, system I think?

Do local media in AZ star restaurant reviews? RI Monthly does here, but the Providence Journal does not. (Good thing: their Thursday reviewer is a movie critic; last week he raved about palm-sized crab rangoons, four for $4.95!!)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It's usually local or regional. Different places tend to get their stars from different organizations. If you care about these things, then you have to look into it place by place ... the standards and the star systems don't correspond.

In Europe stars mean michelin. In the U.S., michelin has only recently started reviewing, and only in a few cities. They have yet to make much of an impression on the diners in those cities, as far as I can see. In New York, our 800 lb. gorilla is the Times. They use a 4-star scale, unlike michelin's 3. If you live here for a while, you get to know what the stars mean (or are supposed to mean).

Notes from the underbelly

Due to the vast disparity and inconsistencies in the restaurant review world, it is best not to judge a restaurant unless I have either 1) eaten there myself or 2) heard or read about it from a source I trust.

So someone claiming to have "worked at a five star restaurant" is absolutely meaningless to me!